MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   Stupid ? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/197339-stupid.html)

BlueDemon 10-25-2006 03:43 AM

Stupid ?

If I replace my stock intake manifold with a Trick flow one on my 88 lx auto what kind of performance will I get out of my mostly stock motor? Should I also replace my throttle body or does that usually come with the Trick flow. Please excuse my stupidity [&o]

Stanpower 10-25-2006 06:55 AM

RE: Stupid ?

Before you start to change intake to a trick flow you need to get a cam and some decent heads otherwise your just wasting your money with the trick flow set up will not work properly also the other parts seperate.......Good luck

Ninety5five0 10-25-2006 07:04 AM

^+1, its not gonna do much for a stock motor, its bottleneckin it, you have a huge opeing up top, once you get to your heads, your not using all that air that you could. And it will prolly hurt your low end power. I mean anything will help, but i'd start with other things if you just starting to mod. Like gears if you dont have them, the best bang for your buck. If you wanna start on the motor i'd do some bolt ons, every little thing helps. If you set on the intake then get it, it cant hurt in the future if your plannin on getting better flowing heads. Headers and other exhaust componest will always help too, just dont go too big.

BlueDemon 10-25-2006 07:30 AM

Thanxs for the advise guys. I do have 3.73 gears,bbk x pipe with no mufflers,msd ignition and plug wires,ngk iridium plugs,electric fan,hypertech chip,and a fully functionable ram air system. I did have underdrive pulleys but I took them off because I didn't like the fact that they dimmed my lights at an idle at night--even with a 130amp alternater. What do you suggest I go with next? Maybe a bigger throttle body? I don't have a huge amount of money at this particular moment but there's plenty of overtime at work. That would actually give me a incentive to actually want to work some of it Again,thanxs for the advise guys

[IMG]local://upfiles/8760/C3538404A09F4C98952DD6063A5CDDA6.jpg[/IMG]

XSRACINGGT 10-25-2006 07:35 AM

go with a 70mm TB, and or a 76mm mass air sensor. make sure its for 19 lb injectors. or shorty headers will do you good also.

BlueDemon 10-25-2006 07:48 AM

Are you saying transfer over to mass air from speed density (I think thats what it's called)? How much does a kit like that go for and is it easy to install? Can I change to a 70mm TB without changing it to mass air? There was a gentleman on this forum with a name of roundman ( I think) that said there was nothing wrong with speed density and that you could make a car with speed density go just as fast as a car with mass air. I haven't seen him around lately but I know he really seemed to know alot about mustangs

BlueDemon 10-26-2006 03:20 AM

So can I change the throttle body without changing the plenum (spelling?) from stock to 70mm?

Ninety5five0 10-26-2006 05:38 AM

I'm sure you can without any problems. Theres alot of agruments about speed density and mass air. But from what i understang there reall is no point in changing to mass air unless your goina forced induction. <someone please correct me if i'm wrong.
Thats a really good lookin fox too.
Even a 65mm TB would do you good, 70mm might be too big for now. You can always get some budget heads like gt40's or gt40p's, check out ebay too. I got mine for 500 shipped with larger valves and stronger springs. I had a problem with them tho, there was a tap snapped off in one of the thread holes for the valve cover, but i got it out and retaped it. I'm going to get new valve covers and put them on tomorrow.
And on the SD and mass air topic, i'm not too keen on, theres alot of guys on here that are tho. Sorry i couldnt help much in that department.

7upedition 10-26-2006 09:44 AM

either budget build it with a GT40 Heads, GT Upper/Lower Intake and cam, Larger 65mm TB and 73mm MAF w/ 19LB sample tube, OR... save your pennies and get a trickflow top end kit that comes with h/c/i, timing chain, rockers, valve covers, gaskets and pushrods $2250 @ summitracing.com(you'll still need a larger TB and MAF (75mmTB)

Red FIVE O 10-26-2006 11:49 AM

ORIGINAL: Ninety5five0

I'm sure you can without any problems. Theres alot of agruments about speed density and mass air. But from what i understang there reall is no point in changing to mass air unless your goina forced induction. <someone please correct me if i'm wrong.
Thats a really good lookin fox too.
Even a 65mm TB would do you good, 70mm might be too big for now. You can always get some budget heads like gt40's or gt40p's, check out ebay too. I got mine for 500 shipped with larger valves and stronger springs. I had a problem with them tho, there was a tap snapped off in one of the thread holes for the valve cover, but i got it out and retaped it. I'm going to get new valve covers and put them on tomorrow.
And on the SD and mass air topic, i'm not too keen on, theres alot of guys on here that are tho. Sorry i couldnt help much in that department.
not true.... i know a few guys that keep the SD and running huge a$$ twin turbos ( not sreet cars though). granted they have a kick a$$ engine managment