5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

I need help!!!good so, I tested the power wires

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 09:57 PM
yournamehere

Default I need help!!!good so, I tested the power wires

Ok, my ingnition coil went out in my 87 5.0..I replaced it, it was messed up on the negative side, about 3 weeks later, the same thing happened but I thought it was the module, replaced it and found out that wasn't it so I replaced the coil, it started then when I shut it off it didn't turn back on but it still would try and turn over. Well, I went to test the coil, it was good so, I tested the power wires going to it and the positive was good but there was no way of testing the negative wire well, there is power going to the coil but, none coming out and both times the coil went out it was the negative side...

I just want to know why the coil is good but it's not sending spark out of it when it is getting power to it?
Old 10-25-2006, 09:59 PM
yournamehere

Default RE: I need help!!!good so, I tested the power wires

Sorry about the subject typo, this laptop is about as good as starting the car.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:25 PM
yournamehere

I take it this one is almost impossible to answer...Some one told me it could be my ground from my battery but it all looks good and clean. =/
Old 10-25-2006, 10:29 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: yournamehere

I take it this one is almost impossible to answer...Some one told me it could be my ground from my battery but it all looks good and clean. =/
you only posted a half an hour ago.... most people are still working on the west coast...

im wondering if you are maybe having ECM troubles or even a bad PIP in the distributor
Old 10-25-2006, 10:31 PM
yournamehere

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

ORIGINAL: yournamehere

you only posted a half an hour ago.... most people are still working on the west coast...

im wondering if you are maybe having ECM troubles or even a bad PIP in the distributor
ECM? But I checked the spark from the coil to the distributor and still no spark going to the distributor. =/
Old 10-25-2006, 11:39 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

if your coil is good it means that your not getting a signal either to the ECM or FROM the ECM. A common failure in the 5.0 motor as far as spark goes is the PIP in the distributor. either rebuild your disty, or replace it
Old 10-25-2006, 11:57 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

1.Take the connector off the coil, remove one wire from the connector, see all that white fuzz? or green fuzz? clean with electrical cleaner spray and make the tab fit tighter onto the coil by pulling out tab some.

2.still bad?remove the coil wire from dizzy, then ground, if she sparks replace the entire dizzy and ignition module.

Common on Ford Tempo, Taurus, Mustangs etc.

3. u say its getting power, your connecotr ,may still need to be straightened out. its also possible you were sold a bad module.

4. Also make sure she has a good ground on chassis