5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

TWIN TURBO OR SUPERCHARGER???

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 06:33 AM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

Default RE: TWIN TURBO OR SUPERCHARGER???

i say you do a low boost on a twin screw with a TT set up feeding into that (yes it can be done) if your planning on a fully built to hell motor, that is the rought i think i'm going when i build my 347, just intercool the air from the turbo before it gets to the blower then intercool it after the blower, talk about one hell of an endless way to make power, this set up can produce more than 100 psi if desired
Old 10-26-2006, 06:37 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ninety5five0
Thats a tuffy. I was thinkin about both myself. But i think if i did anything it would be a single turbo, a fairly small one at that so it would spool up really quick, and maybe even top it off with a shot of n20. But one downside of turbos are, is that they are harder to tune than SCs, keep that in mind. And anything you do to a sn95 is gonna need a good tune, they hate mods.
Not hard to tune it. Harder, yes... Hard, no. & it's like giving your car a 2nd powerband (if that makes any sense. You've got how much it pulls up to 3k then gobs of power above 3k.
If you do go turbo i'd recommend twins, but it's all up to you.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:34 AM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

typically the finance dept settles this matter[&:]

i say single turbo or vortech SQ Trim s/c
Old 10-26-2006, 10:34 AM
86/02stang
3rd Gear Member

^^^ Like somebody said above, what are your wallet going to let you do. If the car is going to see plenty more street action than track, the low end grunt of a twin screw is going to be what you are looking for. If you want something that is going to blow your pants off at 3100 rpms all the way two redline then the turbo is what you want. Neither is going to be cheap. Personally I am thinking blower. I really really want as much bottom end grunt as I can handle. My car will never see the other side of 5,500 rpms though. It is totally up to you. Good Luck.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:18 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mpswirl

Turbo all the way, once you feel the power of a turbo you wont hesitate to choose. Turbos make you sh*t your pants when they spool up. lets see about 10hp per psi s/c or about 20-25hp per psi turbo enough said.
Where did you get that number? You can't just say that S/C's give X number of HP per pound of boost. It doesn't work that way.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:50 AM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

If you scared of taping your pan you are limited on your SC option. Also, if you want to do a TT kit you better do it right and get good parts the first time around.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:57 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Yeah, if you don't want to tap the pan, you are basically limited to Powerdyne or Procharger. Personally, if I had to choose between the two I'd go with the powerdyne. It's 1/2 the price of a procharger and can produce the same amount of boost!!!
Old 10-26-2006, 12:00 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

I strongly disagree.... PASS on the powerdyne. Way too many horror stories about them and they seem to be doing nothing to change their ways with their weak blowers. Just ask around the forums about powerdyne or go onto the corral and ask them about powerdynes. They will change your mind real quick. I say just tap your pan and go with a Novi, Vortech or ProCharger if you have the cash.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:10 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

But they're half the price of a Procharger! Plus they're a lot more exciting! I mean...think about it. Every second you're in boost, you're adrenaline is pumping while you're wondering " Will the belt simply fail, or will it explode and send impeller fragments into my cylinders?"

And then you win the race, get off the throttle, and breathe a sigh of relief as the impellers spool down. I mean...WHAT A RUSH!!! Talk about living on the edge! Problem with the other brands is that they are just too damned reliable. I mean...ho hum... I step on the gas, I get boost, oh joy. Where the hell is the fun in that!?!?

Screw the others. You can buy 2 Powerdynes for the price of one Procharger / Vortech. So while one is out getting repaired, you can run the other one and get that rush all over again!!!
Old 10-26-2006, 12:18 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

LMAO!!!! Your f*cking NUTS bro! But than shoot some metal fragments into your motor and you will be replacing your motor too!

Quick Reply: TWIN TURBO OR SUPERCHARGER???