5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

TWIN TURBO OR SUPERCHARGER???

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 12:57 PM
mpswirl
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: TWIN TURBO OR SUPERCHARGER???

You can go with a single or twins you wont have hardly any lag.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:04 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 88blackgt
do some research on the kb for 5.0s a bit. theyre an older design and last i knew theyre non-intercooled. non-intercooled as in kb doesnt even make an intercooler for it, aka fabricate it if you want it. also a 5.0 kb is mostly good for going sideways on the street, unless you've got some good suspension. you want torque a turbo is great for that. go w/ a turbo IMO

also dont bother w/ TTs. single turbo is lighter, cheaper, makes as much if not more power, and is more efficient(due to the aformentioned crossover pipe required for v-style engines). dont worry about torque either, turbos make tooooons of torque. when the turbo is properly sized for the engine there is almost no noticeable lag, especially on a v8. you may not build full boost until 3k, but then again who launches their car at idle? when you launch you are already a ways into your powerband. if you're really worried about not building boost right away, get a 2 step. 4 or 5 lbs of boost right off the line.

twin screws are the 2nd least efficient(the least efficient being a regular Roots), and if you do go to the great lengths required to intercool them, you will still usually not be making that much boost(yes i realize that meth injection can be used as a chemical intercooler, but this can be quite a task for KBs also).

with the turbo, you will have more efficient gains, easily intercooled, lots of torque, and great top end.

That's what their downside is.... not their upside. That's the reason a twin setup has a small efficiency advantage over a single.

ORIGINAL: mpswirl
+1
Either way, I'm sure you'll be happy with the results
Old 10-28-2006, 01:15 PM
OneFine89Mustang
4th Gear Member

twin turbo no doubt
Old 10-28-2006, 02:34 PM
88blackgt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FoxGT

ORIGINAL: 88blackgt
do some research on the kb for 5.0s a bit. theyre an older design and last i knew theyre non-intercooled. non-intercooled as in kb doesnt even make an intercooler for it, aka fabricate it if you want it. also a 5.0 kb is mostly good for going sideways on the street, unless you've got some good suspension. you want torque a turbo is great for that. go w/ a turbo IMO

also dont bother w/ TTs. single turbo is lighter, cheaper, makes as much if not more power, and is more efficient(due to the aformentioned crossover pipe required for v-style engines). dont worry about torque either, turbos make tooooons of torque. when the turbo is properly sized for the engine there is almost no noticeable lag, especially on a v8. you may not build full boost until 3k, but then again who launches their car at idle? when you launch you are already a ways into your powerband. if you're really worried about not building boost right away, get a 2 step. 4 or 5 lbs of boost right off the line.

twin screws are the 2nd least efficient(the least efficient being a regular Roots), and if you do go to the great lengths required to intercool them, you will still usually not be making that much boost(yes i realize that meth injection can be used as a chemical intercooler, but this can be quite a task for KBs also).

with the turbo, you will have more efficient gains, easily intercooled, lots of torque, and great top end.

That's what their downside is.... not their upside. That's the reason a twin setup has a small efficiency advantage over a single.

ORIGINAL: mpswirl
+1
Either way, I'm sure you'll be happy with the results

i was saying that single turbos are more efficient than TT. i said its MORE efficient but didnt say than what. single turbo doesnt require a crossover pipe.