5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

94 GT 302 Stock pinging!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 03:44 AM
bubs404

Default 94 GT 302 Stock pinging!

Hello good gents,
I know there have been quite a few posts about this problem, but I just wanted to get a concensus about this topic.
I have tried the cleaning of the MAF sensor trick (although I have not taken it completly out of the housing). It does seem to help for a while.
I have recently replaced The Air Charge Sensor (no real difference). The guts of my 302 are bone stock & I don't have a cold air intake or chip mods. Does the O2 sensors make a play in the overall pinging? If so, I heard they can be cleaned with a torch (carbon deposits) or heavy duty solvent.

Thanks in Advance.

Old 10-26-2006, 03:57 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: 94 GT 302 Stock pinging!

What is the timing set at, what octane gas are you using and is the egr system working? Those directly affect pinging

This should keep ya busy for a while

http://www.streetrodstuff.com/Articl...ne/Detonation/
Old 10-26-2006, 04:03 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PRO50SC

What is the timing set at, what octane gas are you using and is the egr system working? Those directly affect pinging

This should keep ya busy for a while

http://www.streetrodstuff.com/Articl...ne/Detonation/
+1. My base timing is 14*. I was running 91 octane (highest in CA) for a while, and then tried some 89 just for the hell of it. I romped on the car a bit, and got no pinging at first. Then, a few weeks later, I noticed that the motor would ping mildly when shifting hard. So I lugged the motor in a high gear to verify that it was pinging...and sure enough, it was. So I went back to 91 octane, and now it doesn't ping regardless of how I drive the car.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:11 AM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

So what actually pings when you hear that ping ? I was runnin 91 and 92 octane when i drove it last, but it was an all stock motor except for bbk LT's and bbk cai and bbk pulleys. So i really didnt need to run that high octane on a stock motor ? I just figured i would since it was a "race" motor, or whatever i thought back them, performance or some sht. Donno what i was thinkin, but i learned alot since then.
I also had to run premium in my old car ( 2.3L Quad 4 DOHC ) it ran like sht without it. So i figured if i did in that, why not in this, its even fast. HAHA.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:17 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ninety5five0

So what actually pings when you hear that ping ? I was runnin 91 and 92 octane when i drove it last, but it was an all stock motor except for bbk LT's and bbk cai and bbk pulleys. So i really didnt need to run that high octane on a stock motor ? I just figured i would since it was a "race" motor, or whatever i thought back them, performance or some sht. Donno what i was thinkin, but i learned alot since then.
I also had to run premium in my old car ( 2.3L Quad 4 DOHC ) it ran like sht without it. So i figured if i did in that, why not in this, its even fast. HAHA.
Yeah, a lot of people think that if a car is fast, that is must be high performance and require premium. The truth is, if your motor doesn't have a high compression ratio (which ours don't stock), and you're not running massive amounts of timing, you don't need premium. What actually pings? It's just a sound created by the combustion mixture igniting too early in the chambers...or before it even reaches them. I've been trying to figure out a way to describe what pinging sounds like for years, and I think I finally have it. If you've ever had a car that "diesels," or keeps running after you shut it off. Well, isolate the highest pitch sound that comes from that, and then apply that sound to an engine that is running under load. That's my best description of pinging.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:44 AM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

I guess thats hwy my old car needed premium, it was 10.5:1 compression stock. I think P heads make compression a lil higher too, which is kindof good i guess. I'm sure the dyno shop will tell me what kindof fuel i'm gonna need to run, but i'm guessing its gonna be premium. Them bastard better squeeze out every pony possible, no fallen ponies are to be left behind .
Man, this thing is sooo close to being done, its frustrating. I cant wait to put that thing up on the dyno. I hope the place i plan on takin it to knows what theyre doing. They are a performance motor shop, so i guess they should, atleast i hope.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:58 AM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

Thats what i was thinking... reset base timing to 10*, set base idle, TPS voltage, clean IAC, and run some 89 or 91 octane for a tank and see what happens, then you'll know if your o2's are giving poor readings and creating a lean condition, jmo
Old 10-26-2006, 11:33 AM
ooticamitica
4th Gear Member

just run high octane, its what it should run.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:48 AM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 7upedition

Thats what i was thinking... reset base timing to 10*, set base idle, TPS voltage, clean IAC, and run some 89 or 91 octane for a tank and see what happens, then you'll know if your o2's are giving poor readings and creating a lean condition, jmo
+1 I would definetly start there.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:46 PM
92stang302
1st Gear Member

you mite try running 93 octang gas in it and if that dont work check egr and if that dont work retard your timing just a hair

[sm=massbounce.gif][sm=massbounce.gif]
1992 5.0
302 050 over
10.5:1 compresion
TF intake
eagle H-beam rods
msd ignition

Quick Reply: 94 GT 302 Stock pinging!