5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Rebuilt Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 11:53 AM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Rebuilt Trans-updated w/questions

well here's the thing..if it still under thier warratty then it doesn't matter how many times they have to rebuild it....now if it's not take it somewhere else and this time have them put in a KEVLAR OD BAND..I wish companies would just treat there customer right[:@]
Old 10-28-2006, 12:28 PM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

They should pay for it. Most trans shops offer a 1 year warranty.
Old 10-28-2006, 12:49 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

yea since youve been there before w. the same trans... relativly recently too, then they should have some kind of warranty... and if nothing else... thats kinda proof that they messed up and that the "debris" is their fault... if i were you id get either the b/f or your dad to call them up and get pissed... explain to them, they messed YOUR trans up. tell them its your DD, even if its not, and that you need it back on the rd. id also push for a new trans if i were you, if you can... seems theyve messed this one up enough... id try to get them to put in a new or remaned one... either way, g/l and welcome to the forums...
Old 11-02-2006, 08:22 PM
Sally 1989

ANOTHER UPDATE;

I called the trans shop today. The manager said that they are still having trouble with 3rd gear. He said that they need to do a test on it because they think it has an internal pressure leak.

Is this something serious that they will try to put a band-aid on?
Thanks for your help all!
Old 11-02-2006, 08:25 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

tell them to stop ****ing around. this is not the first time you have had to bring it to them. They either take their heads out of their asses and fix it right, or they better put a NEW transmission in it.

if they play with you for one more week... call a lawyer and have them write an official letter to the shop.... that always tends to get things moving!
Old 11-03-2006, 08:55 PM
Sally 1989

Friday afternoon update.

I can't tell if these guys are trying to say that it is not their fault, but at the same time saying it is,in the hopes that I'm too stupid to understand what he is saying.

Which happens to be true.

I thought I understood what he told me. He told me some of the same things over and over, but threw in some extra tidbits that I had to fish for and I'm certin that he wanted me confused!

Jan 2005 "xyz machine" installed the transmission that they, "fubar transmission," had built.

Feb 2005 the car was taken in to fubar trans because it was shifting soft. They adjusted (shortened) the cable and adjusted the throttle pressure. Throttle pressure was low.

May 2005 the car came back to fubar trans because the cable was warn (broke). He said that it was an aftermarket cable and they replaced it with a stock ford one. Again he mentioned low throttle pressure.

He said (reading from one of the invoices) that he was unable to set the throttle pressure. He told this to me then he started jumping back and forth about what had been done to the car in Feb and what was done to the car in May.

He seemed to point a limp finger at the installation that was done by xyz machine, putting in the wrong "after market" cable.

Now, In Feb they knew it was the wrong cable(?) And let the car leave with low throttle pressure(?) (is what I'm thinking happened). He said that it "went out of adjustment" and "the cable couldn't pull up the pressure".

I took good notes. It was explained to me out of order on purpose. I think.

So because the car was being driven with 'low throttle pressure' it caused wear on the little clutches for 3rd gear.
He said that is why I need a new transmission.

At one point I asked him if he let my car leave his shop knowing that he was unable to get it to hold throttle pressure. He said "we always check the pressure".

The 12 month 12,000 mile warranty was up Jan of this year. He said that he has been trying other things to fix it without having to "get up in there". I then said to him that I thought that was why it was brought in to them in the first place.

He said it could run as much as $175.00 to tear it down and find out what was wrong. He wanted to try and avoid that he said.

Do you all understand the throttle pressure stuff and the cable replacement? Did he just confess in plain english to me that they fubared my transmission right out of the gate and on each return they were negelent in their service?

My boyfriend works out of town during the week now, so I made todays call. The manager said he will be in the shop for a few hours tomorrow, saturday, and gave me his cell # for my b/f to call him.

Why would this guy try to ream me for another transmission and give out his cell number?

If this was a sewing machine repair shop I'd know what was going on. I don't like feeling so uneasy about wheather or not I'm an idiot!

Any comments? Please? Thank you.