5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Coolant In Oil ...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 10:17 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Coolant In Oil ...

Right now its prob about 25% water 75% coolant.

Also, I just pulled two plugs and they look fine. Should I pull all of them and check or is one or two OK? I also checked pretty good for leaks around the heads and didnt see anything leaking. I also checked my res to make sure that wasnt it and its not... that looks fine also. PLEASE, Im standing by my computer waiting to go check for something. Is there anything else that I can do to help determine what my problem is? Thanks alot guys.

So far I have:
Checked plugs - OKAY
Checked for Leaks - So far OK
Old 10-26-2006, 10:19 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: grabbem88

mine was blown for a year...then boom!...it's just a time bomb
How did you know that it was blown? What were your symptoms? I mean I am pretty much baffaled. Right now I am going to go pour my pan out into a cup (pan that I just drained my oil in) to be 100% positive that there is coolant in there. But Im pretty sure that there is because the whole top of the pan has a green tint to it and it smells like burnt coolant.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:20 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: grabbem88

mine was blown for a year...then boom!...it's just a time bomb
How did you know that it was blown? What were your symptoms? I mean I am pretty much baffaled. Right now I am going to go pour my pan out into a cup (pan that I just drained my oil in) to be 100% positive that there is coolant in there. But Im pretty sure that there is because the whole top of the pan has a green tint to it and it smells like burnt coolant.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:24 PM
mustnglvr
2nd Gear Member

pull all you plugs
Old 10-26-2006, 10:32 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

I always look under my filler cap for a heavy film, it should be clean. My monte carlo blew a intake gasket, was losing coolant, didn't notice it in the oil, but I was losing coolant, saw the film under the cap and knew. Drained oil in it wis in there, came out first. I don't know anout synthetic oils and water mixing, but I know with regualr oil it will turn milky and thick. Look under the cap and into the fill hole.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:06 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

i say head gasket. Check your exhaust for traces of white smoke or a sweet/coolant smell. If it's just a small leak, you won't notice performance issues. Also, check for signs of leakage around your headers....it can blow it out the exhaust sometimes.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:39 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

put new oil in it and drain it again

if its not clearish like fresh oil then u blew a HG

i drained oil on a jeep that went off-roading alot and like mentioned.. it really did look like a chocolate milkshake.

its night and day difference between the colors
Old 10-26-2006, 11:44 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

50stanger: I looked under filler cap... everything looks normal.

gspfunk: I started up the car and ran it for a few mintues than revved it a few times... no smoke and no sweet smell. Also, I looked VERY hard for any signs of coolant comming out of the headers and seen nothing. No leaks, no spots, etc. NOTHING.

Also, when I drained the oil it did NOT look milky. It just looked like it had a green tint to it. Like I said before, the only thing thats making me think that something is wrong with my car is because of the green tint in the oil and plus me loosing coolant like crazy lately.

Am I just being paranoid over nothing ??? Is it possible that RP just has a green tint to it after its burnt? You never know since the oil is purple to begin with and doesnt smell like normal oil comming right out of the bottle lol
Old 10-26-2006, 11:49 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

It's possible...

Stupid question, but have you looked for signs of leaks on the ground? Bottom line is the coolant has to be going somewhere unless the coolant gnome is sucking it dry at night
Old 10-27-2006, 01:04 AM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

well for one if the hg blew on the exhaust side it will steam up...on the intake it will mix with the oil...i had residue in my radiator...that's how i knew.

Quick Reply: Coolant In Oil ...