5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

What should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 05:38 PM
frankbullitt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: What should I do?

probbaly. I dont see why not. Its not a stock intake so it should handle it. Id say look it under drive pulleys too. I got some march one on my stang.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:42 PM
Swirl
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sidewayz6.0

ORIGINAL: Swirl

I really want to mod my 87 Mustang GT, but not sure if I should just wait until the engine goes and get this one:

Engine

I was thinking that if I mod it now, hopefully I can just take the parts off of the old engine and transfer them to this one (if I end up getting this one).

If this isn't a good engine, please let me know what would be a good one to get.

Swirl
You could build that motor to those exact specs for 1/2 that cost.
I'm all for that - lol

Any suggestions on what to do?

I should of been a mechanic instead of a computer programmer - :P

Swirl
Old 10-27-2006, 05:43 PM
5IVE.OH
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Swirl

ORIGINAL: 5IVE.OH

WOW, wish I got that kind of money on my B-day. The easiest way to "find" money is a job.
Oh I won't get this for my b-day.

I have a job, but see I have a wife and a little baby girl, they come first before the car -

Swirl
I can relate.
Yeah you can build a motor for 1/2 the price on paper, but it's honestly much simpler to buy on in a box and bolt it in. especially if you don't have a decent garage to work out of.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:43 PM
frankbullitt
2nd Gear Member

How many miles are on your engine? If its low than sidewayz is right. you could get it moded yourself. All parts can be bought from FRPP.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:46 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: frankbullitt

How many miles are on your engine? If its low than sidewayz is right. you could get it moded yourself. All parts can be bought from FRPP.
I rarely get tired of hearing that!

To answer the question on suggestions of what to do...Your first step is to buy a book on how to build a motor, and teach yourself. When you're done learning...Get a buddy that knows how to build motors to help you.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:46 PM
Swirl
3rd Gear Member

The engine has 134K+ miles on it. (Need to fix the speedo though, just need to find the time to put the speed sensor on). I figure a new engine would be better. Also my uncle has a lift, he build a garage with one in it, he has two older mustangs (64 1/2 - I believe and a 65 or 67)

Really, my plan once I got one of these was to drive it until the engine blew up and then drop a new one in.

Swirl
Old 10-27-2006, 05:47 PM
Swirl
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sidewayz6.0

I rarely get tired of hearing that!

To answer the question on suggestions of what to do...Your first step is to buy a book on how to build a motor, and teach yourself. When you're done learning...Get a buddy that knows how to build motors to help you.
True, my bro is a mechanic and he knows a lot.

What book would you suggest?

Swirl
Old 10-27-2006, 05:50 PM
frankbullitt
2nd Gear Member

If you want to drive it hard you'd probbaly want to rebuild. Id say either way is good. New engine or rebuild. I would rather have someone with knowledge build my engine or get it out of the box. Im not that knowledgible on how to build an engine. Hate to see valves bend or **** like that. And sidewayz why do you have a GTO. This is a stang forum. lol
Old 10-27-2006, 05:53 PM
Swirl
3rd Gear Member

If you want to drive it hard you'd probbaly want to rebuild. Id say either way is good. New engine or rebuild. I would rather have someone with knowledge build my engine or get it out of the box. Im not that knowledgible on how to build an engine. Hate to see valves bend or **** like that. And sidewayz why do you have a GTO. This is a stang forum. lol
LOL, I was going to ask that - :P

I'll figure it out, just wanted some feedback.

Swirl
Old 10-27-2006, 05:54 PM
88blackgt
4th Gear Member

jw, why were you wanting the 5 lug conversion? about all it does is give you a wider selection of wheels. also if you dont already have some 5 lug wheels, you'll have to buy some, aka more money