5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

no start no spark...more info

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 03:54 PM
Idrum88
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: no start no spark...more info

how do i find a bad wire
Old 10-28-2006, 04:04 PM
Idrum88
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fourfivefour

ORIGINAL: samseed101

ORIGINAL: aode06

classic symptoms of a failed PIP in the dizzy. get a used dizzy.
He already replaced the dizzy. Also said that he replaced the ICM. Every time I have seen this in the past, it has either been the PIP, coil, or ignition control module. I mean...there are only so many parts involved in creating a spark...
That is correct many things contribute to making spark. Don't forget the crank sensor.
I have the whole test procedure in front of me and it is very extensive. (too much to type)
With all the parts you have replaced you could have paid to have it fixed. You can replace every part in the system but if it is a wiring problem it still wont run.
my manual says there is no crank sensor ina 5.0
Old 10-28-2006, 04:08 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: Idrum88

the car does not start....i got gas in the rails.....but i have no spark...engine rolls over but no fire....im getting 12 volts to the coil but there is nothing coming out of the coil no spark to the dist......i have replaced the distributor...the coil...and the ignition switch......does anyone know if there is supposed to be any volts goin through the tan wire to the coil.....any help would be greatly appreciated
Noit sure of the wire color, but there should be voltage to the coil. If not, that's a place to start
Old 10-28-2006, 04:09 PM
fourfivefour
3rd Gear Member

He already replaced the dizzy. Also said that he replaced the ICM. Every time I have seen this in the past, it has either been the PIP, coil, or ignition control module. I mean...there are only so many parts involved in creating a spark...
That is correct many things contribute to making spark. Don't forget the crank sensor.
I have the whole test procedure in front of me and it is very extensive. (too much to type)
With all the parts you have replaced you could have paid to have it fixed. You can replace every part in the system but if it is a wiring problem it still wont run.
I thought it was 3.8. Did you just change your sig line? Or I miss read it.
If it is a 5.0 what year?
Old 10-28-2006, 04:10 PM
Idrum88
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PRO50SC

the car does not start....i got gas in the rails.....but i have no spark...engine rolls over but no fire....im getting 12 volts to the coil but there is nothing coming out of the coil no spark to the dist......i have replaced the distributor...the coil...and the ignition switch......does anyone know if there is supposed to be any volts goin through the tan wire to the coil.....any help would be greatly appreciated
Noit sure of the wire color, but there should be voltage to the coil. If not, that's a place to start
i have 12 volts in the one side of the plug but the other side is the tan wire and it has like .5 volts
Old 10-28-2006, 04:11 PM
Idrum88
2nd Gear Member

I thought it was 3.8. Did you just change your sig line? Or I miss read it.
If it is a 5.0 what year?
its a 94
Old 10-28-2006, 04:11 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

i have 12 volts in the one side of the plug but the other side is the tan wire and it has like .5 volts
Have you checked the voltage on the other side while cranking it?
Old 10-28-2006, 04:13 PM
Idrum88
2nd Gear Member

Have you checked the voltage on the other side while cranking it?
no i have not what should it read out??
Old 10-28-2006, 04:17 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

I think like at least 9 or 10 volts if I remember correctly. Don't hold me to it though. Been along time since I had to diagnose one w/o a manual.
Old 10-28-2006, 04:19 PM
Idrum88
2nd Gear Member

I think like at least 9 or 10 volts if I remember correctly. Don't hold me to it though. Been along time since I had to diagnose one w/o a manual.
ill go check....and it should only read that while cranking right??

Quick Reply: no start no spark...more info