5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

cupple turbos going to the 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 02:32 PM
mittimj

Default cupple turbos going to the 5.0

Hello, new to the site.

Looking for som info on puting turbos on a 87 5.0.

As of now the car has FI off a 89. and a cat back exhaust. But is othewise stock.

Im looking to see how much these motors can take in stock form and to find out what is the thing that tends to blow on them under boost.

I havent exactly figured out which turbos Im going to use, my budie has a pile of them in his basment. So I may either go over there to pick them over or I was looking at a cheeper kit off ebay to get me started. One like this. turbo kit ebay

The car is going to be used as a weekend cruser, And taken to the strip. But I would like to be able to have it some what reliable. My gaol is to run in the low 12's at some point. Is that prictical with stock drive train?

My budie knows a fair amount about turbos, he as put them on many cars, But he doesent know anything about ford motors / drivetrain.

hope you guys can get me going- thanks.
Old 10-28-2006, 02:33 PM
mittimj

Default RE: cupple turbos going to the 5.0

oh and I forgot to ad that Im entering it into a competiton where I cant sepend more than 2,000$
Old 10-28-2006, 02:50 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

one problem, that kit will bolt up to yur engine OUT OF THE CAR.

BUT WHEN YOU GO TO DROP THE MOTOR IN, ITS NOT GONNA FIT.

So,

1. If you got two grand and doing your own labor,YOU ARE IN GOOD SHAPE

- Id just do a HCI and and 75 shot. Or a used supercharger setup not exceeding 9psi (INTERCOOLED) OR 6psi non intercooled, you can get em used.
2. BE VERY CAREFUL DOING A TURBO on a stock 302, Ive seen stock 302's blow up, during tuning.

AFR 165 HEADS $1200 TRICKFLOW STAGE ONE CAMSHAFT $100 used EDELBROCK UPPER AND LOWER INTAKE KIT $400 used

Summitt Racing FULL GASKET SET $60 1.6 Roller Rockers $80-100 ~ $1900

either will get you low 12's, if you can drive.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:01 PM
88blackgt
4th Gear Member

you can either make you own piping, or buy the piping used if you want to save some money. get piping w/ a T3/T4 flange then use one of your friend's turbos. a good turbo kit can get you in the 11s stock, why not go for it. great bang for the buck IMO
Old 10-28-2006, 03:06 PM
mittimj

The car it is going on has been hit a cupple times in the front end. So either way the front end needs to be smashed back, wether to make room for turbos or not. it isnt goign to be a perdy car. Just want fast.

But from what you said a turbo on a stock motor just wont mix. why?
Old 10-28-2006, 03:23 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

im saying you can do that, but you need to do it right,

1 overboost, 1 extreme lean , will snap a rod or blow a piston to pieces.

Superchagers are cheaper and simpler, , but turbos provide more boost.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:23 PM
mustangtt89

I look at that kit, I don’t now any buddy ho is using that kit
I make my own lots of work and fan getting everything to fit my 89
I gone work on website soon
For now you can look at my brother shop got some pictures of the buildup
http://www.chrisautohelp.com/phototwt.htm
Lost of setup injectors MAP and more
5 PSI you can run on stock motor any think above you have to do mod to engine
TT is good setup
good luck
Old 10-28-2006, 05:20 PM
88blackgt
4th Gear Member

turbo on a stock motor will work just fine, you just need to get a tune. if you're building your own kit it will also be cheaper than a supercharger(in most cases). you will have the same exact problems with a supercharger as you will with a turbo.

i dont know how no one has said it yet, pick up a nitrous kit. AMAZING bang for the buck, especially if you get it used. get a good nx plate kit, upgrade your fuel system, get it tuned, and spray the HELL out of it. I bet lots of people will be running nitrous if you have a 2000 dollar limit. depending how cheap you get the nitrous kit, you could have quite a bit of money leftover for other things, possibly suspension, maf, tb or whatever you think will work best. i got my kit(all the safety switches, all the lines, fuel, purge, and nitrous solenoids good to 350 shot, bottle heater, and a 10lb bottle for like 500 bucks). with a tune and an upgraded fuel system you could run quite a large shot. if you want to throw a turbo or supercharger on it, you can always do it later. win the competition first lol

what kind of shape is the motor in by the way? as far as mileage and wear. you're not going to want to be boosting or spraying this thing if its not in good shape.
Old 10-28-2006, 05:34 PM
BlackLX
4th Gear Member

LMFAO! It's that same TT kit from ebay. Don't waste your time/money on it. If it were me I'd go with Hellion but you said 2K so that pretty much rules them out. If you or if you know someone that knows what they are doing you can easily piece together your own turbo kit for 2K. Since you're on a budget and want to run 12s then nitrous would be the best thing to buy.
Old 10-28-2006, 05:57 PM
mittimj

Thanks for the help guys. Building it is the easy part. But I just wasent shure what a stock motor was up for, the motor has about 80,000 miles or so.

I have a welding shop that I can work out of. It has anything a guy would want to start a project like this.

Im not to much into running nitrous, it would get the job done but just not as much pride.

so the rod is the weak point on the motor? I dont mind blowing the motor up.... wont be the first time I have blown one up. It will be a good excuse to build one up.

Do any of you guys want any interior peices? The interior was black/grey. Moast of it is in super shape. I took it out with care figuring I could sell it off. Only thing I want is the front seats.

Quick Reply: cupple turbos going to the 5.0