5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Project:Drag

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 01:08 AM
OJMiles
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Project:Drag

Big block is fine and dandy, but there are guys with smallblocks running 10's all motor...
Old 10-29-2006, 01:27 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: 7upedition

first off as an engineer... i wanna let you know he wont learn **** in ME that'll be related to cars! secondly... your asking about your ws6 in a 5.0 forum...? i have no suggestions for you... sorry bud, best of luck
+1 about him not learning what it will take to actually to do the fab work as an ME student, that type of skill is somthing you cannot learn from books. And guys there is no 527 Chevy engine (at least not without going into custom strokers) there is a 427 and a 572. Good luck on the project. If it were me doing the build I would go with a 408/C6 combo. I know people like to be different and all, but there is somthing to be said about using a proven combo, especialy if this isyour first build. Going out a limb and trying to build "the Ultimate car" your first time out is a recipe for diaster.
Old 10-29-2006, 02:32 AM
smbikes
3rd Gear Member

a 527 will fit ,make your own mounts , had a 454 and now a 502 dart block in my dads 93
Old 10-29-2006, 10:20 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Start off by dropping the car of to a chasis fab shop, and hand them about $40,000. Your going to have to get a full chasis fabbed up because once you hit 9's.... its parachute time
Old 10-29-2006, 10:47 AM
gbtrout
2nd Gear Member

Figure out what class your going to run in, and what association nmra, nhra, ihra and then read the saftey req. for the class. That will tell you what saftey and chassis mods you will have to do. It's kinda hard with out knowing how fast your gonna run at.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:47 AM
ModularFox
Banned

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

Start off by dropping the car of to a chasis fab shop, and hand them about $40,000. Your going to have to get a full chasis fabbed up because once you hit 9's.... its parachute time
why do you have to have a full chassis fabbed to go 9s? where i come from we run 9s on stock style suspension and 10 inch tires.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:49 AM
ModularFox
Banned

ORIGINAL: 7upedition

i believe he is... the 527 is a chevy motor and it will not fit in a 5.0 chasis regardless.... just my 2 cents
theres no such thing as a 527 chevy, and even if there was AJE engineering makes a tubular K memeber for a fox body to bolt a Big Block Chevy right in.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:52 AM
ModularFox
Banned

ORIGINAL: OJMiles

Big block is fine and dandy, but there are guys with smallblocks running 10's all motor...
and theres guys with big blocks going 8s all motor.

personally man i would do what one guy mentioned, figure out what class you want to run. Drag cars arnt easy to build, id start off with the suspension, i dont know how fast your planning on going, but id lighten the car up as much as possible. get all of the weight out, do a 12 pt cage, and race seats, drag cars dont want much of an interior. For a motor id suggest a 408 Stroker out of a 351 based motor with a built C4. C6s are cool too, but you can build a C4 to handle the power and they spin faster and take less power to move. Also id Build up that 8.8 rear end with some 33 spline axles, a full spool, and the gear of your choice. Or just go with a 9 inch. not sure what your budgets are, but thats where id start.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:00 AM
4fit?
4th Gear Member

[Begin $.02]Have you ever ran a car down into the 9s or so? Reason I'm asking is, if you take your car right now (don't know what it runs, let's say 12s) and then jump straight into a 9 second ride with wheelie bars and all that jazz, you ar asking for a catastrophy. Work your way up to that point.[/End $.02]
Old 10-29-2006, 11:12 AM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

ryan.. sorry i misunderstood your post... i thought you were doing up the ws6 (yea i was drunk last night...lol haloween party) anywho, the other guys have made some really good points about the build, decide what you can affod, that'll determine your class, then get the rule book and specs and plan from there, i think a n/a 427 stroker motor will suit you better than a 460 stroked to whatever ci it is. the rule book will specify how many point roll cage, braking requirements, safety gear, safety switches/cutoff's, motor size and restrictions.... etc. but all this will be determined by your budget.... and as for your bro, i was told the same thing and after 4 years of college... my hobbies taught me more about cars than school, but hope he fairs better than i and a lot of others have. build the car from the chasis up, leaving the motor/tranny the last on the list but keeping in mind thier requirements, i'd start with gutting the entire car