Notices
5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Project:Drag

Old 10-30-2006, 11:02 PM
RacquetballRyan
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Project:Drag

Thanks,

yeah I was just trying to figure out how to prep the car to become a drag car.
I wasn't too sure as to how to go about doing it, my brother and I still haven't decided as to what engine to run, he just threw out the 514 and he told me to research that. Tell you the truth we haven't decided about any performance parts yet, so thats what I came to you guys for. Just good set up ideas, tips, things to watch out for, anything like that.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:46 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

a 351 based stroker motor would probably be best, it is easy for them to make big horsepower, and the blocks will last reliably well into the 700 hp range.

do the suspension first, you could get a stock motor into the 12's with suspension and sticky tires.
if you plan on doing a race only car just get some race slicks, you dont need a DOT tire to run at the track, just to drive on the streets.
get a good tubular k-member that is lightweight, and coil over conversion, adjustable shocks, lightweight flywheel and engine internals,
upgrade the rear axle with at least 31 spline axles from a good manufacturer. put a spool in the rear too , and if you run faster than 10 seconds you need c-clip eliminators.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:17 AM
MEM 302 5.0L
3rd Gear Member

why would u need c-clip eliminators?
Old 10-31-2006, 01:01 AM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

at my local track it is required just in case the axle breaks, then it would be retained instead of shooting out of the axle tube.
but I guess rear disk breaks would do this too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.