MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   Project:Drag (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/198827-project-drag.html)

RacquetballRyan 10-29-2006 01:08 AM

Project:Drag

Alright,
As many of you may already know, I just bought a 99 Trans-am WS6 so I can retire my mustang from the road. my plans are to make his into a full blown drag car. My brother and I are going to start doing all of the mechanical stuff after we both get out of college (which will be in a good 5 years) Although in the meantime I'm going to get started on the exterior and set up for it. My brother wants to try to drop a big 527 or something like that in it. To make that a little more sensible, he is at the naval academy right now and he is planning on majoring in mechanical engineering. So he is confident that he is going to be able to alter the car enough to make it fit. Despite how much work its going to be he is pretty set on dropping that in there.

Back to what I'm going to begin doing, I'm planning on gutting the interior down and rebuild that up a bit. Right now I know that I need to get a wheely bar, drag radials, stiffen the chassis (although I don't know what all this includes) Roll cage, and the interior set up. So, I suppose what I'm asking of you is to throw in a few ideas to help me out, let me know what all I need to do to get set up for the interior. And just stuff like that...
Thanks everyone

7upedition 10-29-2006 01:14 AM

RE: Project:Drag

first off as an engineer... i wanna let you know he wont learn **** in ME that'll be related to cars! secondly... your asking about your ws6 in a 5.0 forum...? i have no suggestions for you... sorry bud, best of luck

frg_eyz 10-29-2006 01:16 AM

your post is kinda confusing. At first I thought you were asking about the trans am.

7upedition 10-29-2006 01:17 AM

i believe he is... the 527 is a chevy motor and it will not fit in a 5.0 chasis regardless.... just my 2 cents

RacquetballRyan 10-29-2006 01:17 AM

No, my WS6 is my DD. i'm asking about my 5.0 in the 5.0 forums. Also in details about the career path they gave him, he is supposed to get in with a group and build an entire car, also spend a few semesters on just engines.

86 5.0L 10-29-2006 01:19 AM

no he's making his mustang a drag car, not the trans

RacquetballRyan 10-29-2006 01:20 AM

I can try to re-word it

I'm making the 5.0 into a drag car.
I was basically just letting everyone know what I was trying to do and see if anyone had any ideas or suggestions they'd like to make

RacquetballRyan 10-29-2006 01:22 AM

my fault, its a 514
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=9285

CrazyCobraSpeed 10-29-2006 01:29 AM

its sounds like he is making this mustang a dragger... but yea a 527 is a chevy engine isnt it???.... and thats really ****ing big... good luck with makign that thing fix... last time i checked those things were huge... u would have to cut up so much **** to make it fit that u would loss stiffness in the front end i think... i think u have better luck is like a 460 or a 427 even then that would be a hell of a time gettin it in there.... as for drag go... u could do the battery relotcating and also gut the car and work on the suspension... like a complete suspension job... all the bells and whistles... and i would reconsider a 460 or 427.. with a nice shot of nitrous u would have more torque than u kne what to do with.... thats y im think get a complete suspension upgrade... and then radials of course... and u should also work on that re axle... i dunno if u wanna get to the tranny or not becuze that kinda depends on what kidna eninge u get but i was deffinetly strenghten that rear axle.... if u wnat more than one good launch that is.... if i can find a video ill post it... a guy says he as 1200hp i dunno about htat... im think more like 600-750 but its on a stock rear end... besides different gears.... and he starts out the video burning the **** outta some tires... then throws on raidals heats then up the gets ready to launch.... and the back axles just comes rite off... its a good laugh at first then you like holy ****

nmerrill 10-29-2006 01:31 AM

well first off instead of getting drag radials, go ahead and get some slicks.