5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Service Manual Question....

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 03:37 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Default Service Manual Question....

I have been using Chiltons for a long time now but I always hear people say that the service manual is alot better. Is this the manual that they are talking about? Also, does any company reproduce these so I dont have to buy a 14 year old book? Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...9738859&rd=1,1

And dont try out bidding me if this is what I should get! lol
Old 10-30-2006, 04:17 PM
iamvillani
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Service Manual Question....

I was told that the ford service manuals are by far the best. I tried to locate one for my 87 5.0 but no luck....def buy it... thats cheap i have seen them go for well over a hundred bucks. They put Chilton and Haynes to shame!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-30-2006, 04:20 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

yes the ford service repair manual is way better, detailed pics and instructions for everythign bumper to bumper, a new one costs about $100! But they are worth it, the ebay one prolly good as long as its not split on and oiled all over... you wont regret buying one of these!
Old 10-30-2006, 04:22 PM
fourfivefour
3rd Gear Member

That is a Ford manual. They dont get much better than that.
I would doubble check that it covers 5.0 l cars before clicking the buy it now. You don't want to end up stuck with a 4 or 6 cyl manual.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:24 AM
wythors
2nd Gear Member

That is the book to buy. It covers all 1993 Mustangs, so buy away. You're also going to want to keep an eye out for the EVTM book. It's a smaller manual that goes into deep detail on the electrical and vacuum systems. I have complete Ford manual sets for my 93 Mustang, 96 Cobra, 96 Bronco and 04 Crown Victoria Sport. Well worth every penny I've spent.

edit: here's the EVTM from the same guy. Buy it too. Seriously.

Mustang EVTM

iamvillani: Here's the manual set for your car
Old 10-31-2006, 04:00 AM
drhink

You can't beat the Ford service manuals- period. I have them for my '66 coupe and my '89 5.0, and I can't see parting with them no matter how high they are going on Ebay. You'll never use a Chilton book again once you get the "real thing". BTW, the '89 book cost me around $35 new back in 1989, so they were never exactly cheap. It will pay for itself the first time you can't quite figure out the right way to take something apart w/o breaking it like the console or dash. Unless you plan to admire the book on a shelf, don't be too worried about finding a pristine one. Save some money by getting one that's been "broken in"; you won't feel so bad the first time you put your own greasy paws all over it or it falls off the front fender into that puddle of power stearing fluid you hadn't gotten around to wiping up yet.

I'm a newbie here, but a stang fanatic for 30 years.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:22 AM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

My friend is a manager at a shop, if he could get me a computer program tha has all manuals in it, would it be just as good as those books ? Now i reall want one of thsoe books, i always need more pictures and more in depth explanations to fall back on. My hayness is alright, but its never enough.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:23 AM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

you have to pay to use alldata or mitchells which is what most shops use
Old 10-31-2006, 04:27 AM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

Ahhhh.... so its not like a program that you just have once you get it ?
Old 10-31-2006, 11:25 AM
wythors
2nd Gear Member

Think about this: You're up to your elbows in your engine, covered in oil and antifreeze. You realize that you need to look something up in the manual. Are you going to want to crack open your laptop and get nasty fingerprints all over it? Are you going to want to go inside, wash up, change clothes and sit down at your desktop? Or do you want to grab the book off the workbench an start flipping pages? That's always been my thought process behind having the physical book rather than something on DVD.

Quick Reply: Service Manual Question....