MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   autometer help (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/199694-autometer-help.html)

scooterstang 10-31-2006 12:16 AM

autometer help

i have my a-pillar, and my 3 gauges. i have oil temp, oil pressure, and trans temp. I got these from my girlfriend for my birthday, i told her it looked cool one day, so she just bought it for me. i have no idea how to put these in, and i've talked to a few people, but no one has ever really answered my question how much will it cost to get these put in?

Kbush723 10-31-2006 12:20 AM

RE: autometer help

well if you put them in your self .. free.. just a little time.. thats all..

scooterstang 10-31-2006 12:24 AM

how easy is this, i really don't know much at all.

Kbush723 10-31-2006 12:26 AM

well being able to admit that you have proven yourself more intelligent then most.. its mostly just hooking up into existing wiring... as long as you can find the wires and places.. it should be fairly straight forward.. so you dont have any friends with mchanical knowledge

scooterstang 10-31-2006 12:45 AM

i have 2 people that i know that are really good that i go to for everything. one guy told me he'd call me back when he wasn't hung over, haven't talked to him since, the other guy said give him some time to find out. this guy is going to do some tranee work for me and he said it would be easiest to mount the tranee temp while doing this but give him some time. its been like almost 2 weeks now

Kbush723 10-31-2006 12:48 AM

well light a fire under his feet get em moving.. you have a auto. ..?

scooterstang 10-31-2006 12:50 AM

yea, rebuilt aod

Kbush723 10-31-2006 12:51 AM

nice.... wel as far as the gauges go.. just go invite your buddy over during a good football.. (hockey in my case).. and then get the convo going about your car and trick him into it..

nmerrill 10-31-2006 12:51 AM

Did the guages come with their own sensors? Are they electrical guages or mechanical? If they came with sensors here you go, on the water temp the sensor is on the front of the lower intake manifold on the drivers side. Just take out the old one and put in the autometer one, and run the wire from the sensor to the gauge. The oil pressure sensor is on the side of the motor behind the power steering pump. There is a hexoganol shaft coming out of the motor with a bell looking sensor threaded into it. Replace it wiht your sensor, and run wire to the gauge. I have never dealt with a oil temp. gauge so someone else will have to chime in here. Then run a wire from a 12v source that is on when you hit your lights to all 3 gauges, and run grounds from teh gauges to a solid ground. That should get you started, but ask more q's if needed.

ltrayne84 10-31-2006 12:52 AM

are they mechanical or electrical gauges? if electrical they're pretty simple and anyone(even you..lol) can put them in.. but mechanical are a little more tricky and you should probably get one of your buddys to help you out and just buy him a 12 pack..