5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Winter Prep?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 05:26 PM
Moosetang
3rd Gear Member

Default Winter Prep?

Ok guys, I finally think I get to store my stang for the winter. Never really stored a car up before. I know I'm gonna need some Sta-Bil and make sure the anti-freeze is good but what else needs to be done?

I know winter's alittle far off but I'm planning

Thanks
Old 08-08-2004, 06:46 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Winter Prep?

will this be in a heated enviroment?
Old 08-08-2004, 09:39 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

Let's say its not in a heated environment.
What are the common precautions/tips?
Old 08-08-2004, 10:07 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

1. put car up on stands
2. fill gas tank full and put in some stablizer
3. new oil and filter
4. disconnect battery
5. put in some moisture adsorbing bags on the seats
6. start the car every few weeks
7. take the battery inside
Old 08-08-2004, 10:07 PM
sc94gt
3rd Gear Member

I live in New Hampshire. I have been storing mine every single winter outside.
What I do here is raise the car up on cement blocks about 12 inches (makes it easy to shovel the snow away from around it, lets air flow freely underneath, and tends to keep the animals away)
I change the oil and remove the battery and give the battery a good charge and store that.
I fill the tank full also... along with a bottle of STP gas teatment as well.
Then I use a regular car cover... and then cover that one with a tarp. Snow slides off the tarp very easily and keep moisture away. Don't forget about taking off the antenna too.
After that, I spend the next 5 months crying.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:21 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

Where bouts in NH?
I'm in Sandown, it's in the south eastern-ish of NH
Old 08-09-2004, 10:16 AM
91GT50
1st Gear Member

I heard that starting your car every few weeks is no good. It builds up moisture in your exaust and could start rusting out your exaust. For the past two year all I've done is put it up on blocks fill the tank and put some stabilizer in, and I bring the battery inside. Then when Spring comes along one turn of the key and ready to go
Old 08-09-2004, 02:10 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

You can also buy a battery extender and keep the battery inside with this hooked up on it to keep the battery fully charged. I got one from Northern Hardware and Accel makes one also, they sell for $30-$60 bucks or so. This will make the battery last much longer and keep it ready to use anytime you need it. If you do start the car every so often, let it run long enough to build up heat in the exhaust system so the moisture boils out and won't rot the pipes and mufflers.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:37 PM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

Funny thing is right before winter my Bronco needed a battery so I used the mustang one all winter and that kept it charge. Hehe.

Last winter I didn't start it at all during the winter, had a maybe a quarter tank left. You can put sta-bil or whatever you want in gas, IT'S ONLY GOING TO KEEP IT FROM VARNISHING. After three months gasoline's octane rating slowly depreciates(goes down ) I kept my rear end off the ground cause I only had two jack stands and I wanted to help the sagging spring. NOw I have new spring so I might just leave it on the ground. Winter is a good time to do all the tedious things to your car that can keep it out of commision during summer months. I plan on taking the front bumber cover off and getting repainted along with the rear hatchback as the southern in it is showing back up (it's nice to work at a ford dealership where there's a body shop too). I also want to repaint all the scratched interior panels and put in 87-93 rear quarter windows.

I also cover mine with a cheap $20 cover I got from Menards, but now it'll be stored in a not so good garage and I'll probably need a tarp over that. Check the air pressure. Change the oil, maybe throw some fogging oil in the cylinders, wait and cry until spring comes. Winter's a bit away, starting early?
Old 08-10-2004, 12:03 AM
Moosetang
3rd Gear Member

What about engine prep? I don't wanna start it up in spring and have the thing eat a hole in the block from all the chemicals from it not being started. Should I run one of those oil deterdents?

Quick Reply: Winter Prep?