5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

which roller rockers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 01:25 AM
Dull_Machete
1st Gear Member

Default which roller rockers?

I am about to get my engine rebuilt. 90' lx vert aod

im going to tell my mechanic that i want a e303 cam with afr 165 heads. what kind of roller rockers should i use? and is this a good setup for daily driving? my mechanic disagrees and says that the computer might act weird. and also should i get a double timing chain?

any other parts i should have installed?

and would i be able to run the stock intake manifold, throttle body, and fuel system? till i get a little more cash? and what kind of fuel pump/injectore should i order?

i have a budget of about 5000

and i also want a set of longtubes, will they bolt up to a bbk offroad h pipe or will they have to be welded?

sorry for all of my n00b posts.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:46 AM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

Default RE: which roller rockers?

ORIGINAL: Dull_Machete

im going to tell my mechanic that i want a e303 cam with afr 165 heads.E cam is okay, but I'd go w/ the TFS stage 1 instead. It has a little more duration and split lift on the int/exh

what kind of roller rockers should i use? and is this a good setup for daily driving? It's a great setup and you'll need stud rockers. Scorpion are very good for the price and are under 200 for stud mount.

my mechanic disagrees and says that the computer might act weird. The computer will be fine. The 94-95's 5.0's have the troublesome computers.

and also should i get a double timing chain? It should be standard for the 302, but yes you should.

any other parts i should have installed? See next answer

and would i be able to run the stock intake manifold, throttle body, and fuel system? till i get a little more cash? and what kind of fuel pump/injectore should i order? The stock manifold will bog you down bigtime w/ AFR's and a cam. Get a used Street heat or something off ebay. Your stock TB will be okay, but a 65mm would be better. You'll also want a larger MAF. Your stock fuel rails should be fine, but you may want to look into 24 # inj's in the near future (MAF calibrated for them, too). You'll want at least a 155lph fuel pump. Check out jdsperformance.com for good prices on Walbro pumps.

and i also want a set of longtubes, will they bolt up to a bbk offroad h pipe or will they have to be welded? They will bolt up if you have the shorty H pipe, made for longtubes.

Old 10-31-2006, 01:55 AM
Dull_Machete
1st Gear Member

what size rocker should i get 1.6 or 1.7?
Old 10-31-2006, 02:26 AM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

I just went back to 1.6's b/c I had a lot of valvetrain noise. You'll need to check the piston to valve clearance to run larger rockers, which I don't think you'll be able to do since 1.7's would put the exhaust side around .542. If you do go w/ bigger rockers, use a pushrod length checker to make sure you get the right size.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:41 AM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gspfunk

ORIGINAL: Dull_Machete

im going to tell my mechanic that i want a e303 cam with afr 165 heads.E cam is okay, but I'd go w/ the TFS stage 1 instead. It has a little more duration and split lift on the int/exh

what kind of roller rockers should i use? and is this a good setup for daily driving? It's a great setup and you'll need stud rockers. Scorpion are very good for the price and are under 200 for stud mount.

my mechanic disagrees and says that the computer might act weird. The computer will be fine. The 94-95's 5.0's have the troublesome computers.

and also should i get a double timing chain? It should be standard for the 302, but yes you should.

any other parts i should have installed? See next answer

and would i be able to run the stock intake manifold, throttle body, and fuel system? till i get a little more cash? and what kind of fuel pump/injectore should i order? The stock manifold will bog you down bigtime w/ AFR's and a cam. Get a used Street heat or something off ebay. Your stock TB will be okay, but a 65mm would be better. You'll also want a larger MAF. Your stock fuel rails should be fine, but you may want to look into 24 # inj's in the near future (MAF calibrated for them, too). You'll want at least a 155lph fuel pump. Check out jdsperformance.com for good prices on Walbro pumps.

and i also want a set of longtubes, will they bolt up to a bbk offroad h pipe or will they have to be welded? They will bolt up if you have the shorty H pipe, made for longtubes.

+1
Old 10-31-2006, 11:28 AM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

yea.. i also agree ^^^ quote would be too long though! lol