5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

First track run this coming friday...need some advice!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 03:42 PM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

Default First track run this coming friday...need some advice!

So I'm going up to mason dixon dragway on friday (some of you should come too!) with some buddies and I'm just looking for some advice...

How do you launch a stick shift? An auto I understand...but if you're revving the motor and have the clutch in how do you keep the car from rolling?

Around what RPM should I be shifting? 5,000?

Thanks guys!
Old 10-31-2006, 03:45 PM
5speed GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: First track run this coming friday...need some advice!

I personally like to stage first, then clutch in, 1st gear and hold the e-brake up with the right hand, and left hand on the wheel. also, with stock cam and valvetrain 5000-5200 is a good shift spot
Old 10-31-2006, 03:48 PM
LCBlackDep183
3rd Gear Member

The track should be level so the car shouldent be rolling, when its time to go just let the clutch out and punch it and hope your tires hold on ... Seriously though if they prep the track right on friday we(keyword we, we with our near stock cars) shouldent be spinning too much [&:]...

Old 10-31-2006, 03:50 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

if the track is halfway decent you shouldnt be rolling at the line, it should be flat. if you're running street tires go around the water and give the tires a quick spin to clean them off, dont smoke them. if you have DRs or slicks heat them up. go on the last yellow light (dont wait for green) and feather the clutch out prolly between 2-3000rpm. usually you dont want to dump the clutch. I've also found that it's almost always better to bog than it is to burn out off the line, at least with street tires.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:51 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

ok, heres what i do....

go around water box
scratch the tires a very little bit, on my way up to the line, like one quick little spin, just to clean them off
prestage
let other guy prestage
full stage
now when im sitting on the line i have no break on whatsoever... clutch all the way in, and hand on shifter.
keep the rpms around 1500 at the most... your stock... no need to really "launch" the car.
just take off fast(on the 3rd yellow)...but dont try to hold an rpm and dump the clutch, youll spin like all hell
just try to be off the clutch as fast as you can w. out bogging, and give it as much throtle as you can w. out spining( i cant go full throtle in 1st, on street tires, on a stock car)
run that thing as hard as you can, shift around 52-5500 rpms. and by shift i mean ****in shift...and there ya have it...
dont let off till your past the line, not the boards...
and the final step is to come back here when you get home that night and post up your results, with 60 times as well

good luck and have fun!!!

also, dont expect alot your 1st time out... my 1st run was a 15.9. so dont be mad if you do bad, just try to get in as many runs as you can youll get better, and remember HAVE FUN
Old 10-31-2006, 03:53 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: OnyxCobra

if the track is halfway decent you shouldnt be rolling at the line, it should be flat. if you're running street tires go around the water and give the tires a quick spin to clean them off, dont smoke them. if you have DRs or slicks heat them up. go on the last yellow light (dont wait for green) and feather the clutch out prolly between 2-3000rpm. usually you dont want to dump the clutch. I've also found that it's almost always better to bog than it is to burn out off the line, at least with street tires.

+1000... ya spin and youll never get it to hook, bog a little and itll still hook up and go... my best(14.7, cars stock) was w. a slight bog at the beginning.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:28 PM
88blackgt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dimebag
prestage
let other guy prestage
full stage
try to remember this, its called courtesy staging and is usually expected
Old 10-31-2006, 04:41 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 88blackgt

ORIGINAL: dimebag
prestage
let other guy prestage
full stage
try to remember this, its called courtesy staging and is usually expected
interesting, never heard of that, ill have to check for that next time im there
Old 10-31-2006, 06:50 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

its not mandatory or anything, its just like a nice thing to do for the guy next to you... kinda like holdin the door for someone, or uh, idk... but yea you get the idea, its not mandatory, but you should do it. i mean if you accidentally light up both lights dont worry about it.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:01 PM
ModularFox
Banned

id say get some slicks before then, take a trailor with you, limiter launch it and powershift the **** out of it at 5300 RPM. That will get you the ticket to a 13 second pass with a stock 5.0 five speed. Youll get a few good launches before you have to say peace out stock axles

Quick Reply: First track run this coming friday...need some advice!