5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Got a PCV oil separator installed.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 05:00 PM
ruger311
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Got a PCV oil separator installed.

whats a HG issue?
Old 11-01-2006, 05:21 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Head gasket.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:04 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

that's why mine gave me problems! had a blown hg last year..
Old 11-02-2006, 01:24 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ttoppedaerocoupe

I guarantee there is no vacuum leak. I know this because I have a vac / boost gauge on my A-pillar and can monitor it constantly. If you pull the PCV valve itself you can get a vac leak, but that's completely different.
samseed, I have a quick question. (sorry to hijack thread for a minute) A buddy of mine has an old kawasaki ninja. When he first bought it, the PCV was one piece of tubing that was looped from a port on one side, around the tree, and back into the motor on the other side. When we first saw it, we thought something had to be wrong, so he cut it in half and has a filter stuck on the end, then it vents to the atmosphere. My whole group of friends that ride cannot figure out, however, why there was a vaccuum on the piece of hose when he first cut it. Then we thought maybe it was more of an equilizer between the heads, but still, why a vaccuum?? the bike got a HELL of a lot louder (sounded like a ****load of valvetrain chatter, then when you plug the hoses, the bike quiets down. Any ideas??

thanks a lot, alex
That system you are talking about is typical to the old kawasakis. I had it on my 88 Ninja 750R, and have seen it on dozens of Kawi's...but can't remember right now what they called it. It is part of the emissions system, and just lets fresh air into the exhaust ports of the heads between strokes. If you don't have this system properly hooked up, you should block it off completely. Remove the two covers on each side of the head, cut out some cardboard pieces (or other material) that will fit into the recesses, install them and then put the covers back on. There are some reed valves in there, and I believe I used to leave them in, and put the cardboard right on top of them--can't remember though. If you need more help, let me know, and I'll go look at my manuals to remind myself.

Vristang, I'll get at you later, as I have some things I want to discuss in detail regarding the topic.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:38 AM
88blackgt
4th Gear Member

hey samseed did you lose any vacuum though routing it into the air as opposed to back into the motor? the guys i know that run it say the lose vacuum if they run a filter, so some run it back into the system. these are supras and DSMs so doesnt quite apply the same but ya
Old 11-02-2006, 01:54 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Oh, by the way, Alex, to the best of my memory, that fresh air system is not in any way part of the PCV system--at least it wasn't on my bike; although the smog system on my bike had been removed long ago so that the only hose in that area was the pcv hose. Oh yeah...I just remembered...it's called an "Air Suction System." From the factory, there is some kind of canister that either pumps or sucks air into those valves for some emissions purpose. Yeah, the bike will sound like sh*t if you don't either have it hooked up properly, or block it off completely. Good luck.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:01 AM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

ok this is my question...i have two breathers plus pcv valve...if i put a pcv in the driver side and run it to my current pcv system with a T or double port....is this still considered a vac leak?
Old 11-02-2006, 02:05 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

So Vristang, I have some questions for you. I read a thread that you had going on another site, regarding pcv systems. I remember you mentioning that your separator bowl used to fill up like every 200 miles, before adding the second pcv. My question is, does this imply that your motor was on its deathbed...the fact that that much oil was being sucked into the intake? For reference, I've put 70 miles on mine, and it only has like a half a teaspoon in it. At any rate, does this always indicate that there is excessive blowby past the rings, or is there some other possible explanation? How long has it been since your discovery of your pcv issues, and has your motor continued to run well in spite of them?

My last question is, I've noticed that my car has been idling kind of funny (funnier than usual, anyway) since attaching the system. It seems to idle like 50 rpms lower, was surging like 50-100 rpms. It does seem to be getting better with time though. Why do you think my idle quality changed since adding the system. Also, I'm thinking about cutting the tip of the filter off. What are your thoughts on this? Sorry about all the questions.

One more request, when you get a chance, can you post that picture of your pcv setup again?
Old 11-02-2006, 02:08 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: grabbem88

ok this is my question...i have two breathers plus pcv valve...if i put a pcv in the driver side and run it to my current pcv system with a T or double port....is this still considered a vac leak?
I don't think so...at least not according to the hours of reading I've done on the subject lately--including pieces written by Vristang. I don't know what the effect would be on idle quality though, as it seems like it would change the flow rate of the pcv system.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:17 AM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

sbf fords are known for oil puddling in the rear...jay allen explained this to me,but since this forums bans the site he visits....soryy for no link....

Quick Reply: Got a PCV oil separator installed.