5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Got a PCV oil separator installed.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 06:59 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Got a PCV oil separator installed.

ORIGINAL: ttoppedaerocoupe

twisted, I shoulda gone to you first, I forgot you were a kawi man!! thanks a lot for the info, very helpful.

alex
No problem man. Let me know if you have any more questions.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:03 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Thanks for all the great info, Vristang. I'm gonna run it for a while and see how it does. Now for my final question: I have been reading a lot of info on the net about separators and catch cans. They have been touted as an effective means of controlling oil consumption. I thought the purpose of separators and such was just to catch what you have already lost, rather than to decrease the rate of oil loss. What are your thoughts on this? Do these devices really lower overall oil consumption?
Old 11-03-2006, 01:59 AM
vristang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Twisted

Thanks for all the great info, Vristang. I'm gonna run it for a while and see how it does. Now for my final question: I have been reading a lot of info on the net about separators and catch cans. They have been touted as an effective means of controlling oil consumption. I thought the purpose of separators and such was just to catch what you have already lost, rather than to decrease the rate of oil loss. What are your thoughts on this? Do these devices really lower overall oil consumption?
If the oil is drained back into the oil pan, then catch cans will decrease the rate of oil loss.
The spearators from Home Depot won't do this though.
I suppose you could pour the contents of the separator back into the oil pan.
However, the oil I have always collected in the separator has been pretty heavily contaminated. It usually wreaks of combustion gasses, patially burned fuel, etc.
I would rather add fresh oil, to replace the dirty stuff in the separator.

The way to decrease oil loss, is by decreasing the velocity of the crankcase gasses as they pass through any given vent.
By using a LARGER diameter hose (instead of a pcv), you can decrease the velocity of the purging gasses.
OR
By increasing the number of vent locations, you can decrease the velocity of the purging gasses at each location.

Catch cans and separator work a bit differently.
High velocity gasses, soaked with heavy oil droplets, enter the catch can or separator.
The flow of gasses is directed at the side of the inner wall of the can/separator. This creates a swirl motion in the can/separator. The high velocity swirling of the gasses forces the heavy oil droplets to the outer wall of the can/separator where they collect and drip to the bottom.

Still a third method of separator oil from the crankcase gasses is with an expansion tank, similar to what is used on the 2.3L 4 cyl Mustangs.
When the gasses hit the large capacity chamber, their velocity slows, which allows the oil to fall and separate out.

There are probably other ways to separate oil from crankcase gasses too???

I wish you luck with the new setup Twisted.

Let us know how things work out.

jason
Old 11-03-2006, 03:28 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vristang

ORIGINAL: Twisted

If the oil is drained back into the oil pan, then catch cans will decrease the rate of oil loss.
The spearators from Home Depot won't do this though.
I suppose you could pour the contents of the separator back into the oil pan.
However, the oil I have always collected in the separator has been pretty heavily contaminated. It usually wreaks of combustion gasses, patially burned fuel, etc.
I would rather add fresh oil, to replace the dirty stuff in the separator.

The way to decrease oil loss, is by decreasing the velocity of the crankcase gasses as they pass through any given vent.
By using a LARGER diameter hose (instead of a pcv), you can decrease the velocity of the purging gasses.
OR
By increasing the number of vent locations, you can decrease the velocity of the purging gasses at each location.

Catch cans and separator work a bit differently.
High velocity gasses, soaked with heavy oil droplets, enter the catch can or separator.
The flow of gasses is directed at the side of the inner wall of the can/separator. This creates a swirl motion in the can/separator. The high velocity swirling of the gasses forces the heavy oil droplets to the outer wall of the can/separator where they collect and drip to the bottom.

Still a third method of separator oil from the crankcase gasses is with an expansion tank, similar to what is used on the 2.3L 4 cyl Mustangs.
When the gasses hit the large capacity chamber, their velocity slows, which allows the oil to fall and separate out.

There are probably other ways to separate oil from crankcase gasses too???

I wish you luck with the new setup Twisted.

Let us know how things work out.

jason
Thanks for the great info, Vristang. I'll definitely keep you posted.