5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Got a PCV oil separator installed.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 10:23 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Default Got a PCV oil separator installed.

Well, I guess I figured out where all my oil has been going. I had been reading up on oil separators and pcv systems for a while, and today, finally decided to hook up a separator. I went to Home Depot, and bought a generic Husky water/oil separator for use with air compressors. I bought the separator, couplings and 3/8" fuel line for about $25. I hooked everything up in about 10 or 15 minutes. Then I went out and whooped the car halfway to God--mashing the gas flat to the floor every chance I got for about 15 miles around town. When I came home, there was probably about a half teaspoon of oil sitting in the bottom of the collector. It's crazy to imagine that that much oil would have gone into my intake/combustion chambers/piston tops. I noticed after trouncing the old bitch, that she idled a lot better when I pulled her into the garage. I also noticed that the car seemed like it was pulling harder toward the end of my raping. I'm thinking that I may have cleared some of that old oil from the intake. I look forward to seeing if the car continues to run better as time progresses, with no oil being sucked into the intake.

I have a question or two. Vristang, feel free. Does anyone else have a separator hooked up? If so, what has your experience been with the device? Also, how much oil do yours collect in X number of miles? Also, do I need the filter element inside the collector?
Old 10-31-2006, 10:27 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Got a PCV oil separator installed.

hey twisted could you tell me how u hooked it up

im interested in this now
Old 10-31-2006, 10:31 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

just becareful in colder months they tend to draw in moisture...make it look like a milkshake...
Old 10-31-2006, 10:37 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 93 LX FiveO

hey twisted could you tell me how u hooked it up

im interested in this now
Sure. Just run a piece of 3/8" fuel line off of your pcv valve into the correct side of the separator. You'll have to buy two brass fittings (one for each side of the separator) with 1/4 inch threaded male connectors on one end, and 3/8 inch male hose connectors on the other end. Then run another piece of 3/8" line out the other side of the separator into the pcv nipple on your intake...you know the one that runs directly to the pcv valve. I used just enough fuel line to not have kinks, and then zip-tied the separator body to that big a/c line that runs off the condensor and over the intake.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:41 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: grabbem88

just becareful in colder months they tend to draw in moisture...make it look like a milkshake...
Thanks, Grab. I wonder if it gets cold enough here in Cali to do that.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:44 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

anything that is cooler than your engine bay will generate some moisture...my rpm sucked the filter inside the seperator...almost made a terrible mess.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:47 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: grabbem88

anything that is cooler than your engine bay will generate some moisture...my rpm sucked the filter inside the seperator...almost made a terrible mess.
So Grab, how often does your separator fill up? Also, did you say that your RPM intake sucked the filter element into the body of the separator? What kind of separator are you running? My filter element is made out of something that feels like stone.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:48 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Also, what changes (if any) did you notice after hooking the separator up? Thanks again.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:10 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

it was from steeda...kinda a joke...what you have is better...mine filled up once,but the cold got to it/moisture...i don't like water in my intake
Old 11-01-2006, 01:11 PM
ruger311
4th Gear Member

twisted,

i hooked mine up like this,,,, ran 3/8" line from rear pcv to drivers side installed second pcv on drivers side valve cover, t'd those two together then into the big *** husky separator, then ran single vacuum to intake,, i havent drove it yet but in the shop i have around 30-45 mins of 2000-4000 rpm runs on it and it probably has around 2-3 ozs in the separator,

Quick Reply: Got a PCV oil separator installed.