5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

stiffening the ol' fox body

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 01:54 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Default RE: stiffening the ol' fox body

ORIGINAL: BlackLX

I looks really good. Are you going to put pads around it? Do you do welding/fabricating for a living?

i wish!!! i havent done a cage in about 4 years. before i started this project my tube bender was in a box in my backyard and every inch of it was oxydized. i had to sand it and wire wheel it....ever f**king piece!! what a nightmare. took 2 cans of paint and one can of PB penetrating oil. and some pieces were missing so i had to make a couple of them.

a few months ago a friend had me weld his door bars back into his roll bar in his couger. had to cut them out when his grandma needed him to drive him around for a while while she recovered from a heart attack. thats all the "fabricating" ive done in the last 4 years

no way i can do pads on the halo. the way i bent it up, the halo is touching the roof and the almost touching the sides of the roof (just above the door). im sure once its welded in there will be some space between the halo and the roof but not enough for padding.

i dont "work for a living" per say. i live at home and eat my parents food. i work at disneyland------pays my way through college. horrible place to work but i work at 4am unloading trucks so its all physical work and i love it. almost pays decent (12.30ish an hour) and i work for about 3 hours and then sit around for 5 then go home. i graduate college in may and hope to be in the police academy in summer. then the real money starts coming in and ill finally get that twin turbo 408 ive always wanted.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:28 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

been a while but finally got some work done to the cage. today i welded in the halo... not completely but enough so i can drive around and not worry about it falling on me.

this picture didnt come out to well. the sun was working against me

this picture is a little better but not much.

i also bent and notched one of the front pipes that run to the floor. after painting it i called it a day so that will go in tomorrow or in a couple days. i did weld a floor plate in on the passenger side at least. sort of dissapointed because after test fitting the passenger side tube, i know im going to have to give up my A pillar gauge pod if i want the cage to look half decent. its not that big of a deal tho, the two gauges that i have in the pod are my boost/vac and a narrow band gauge that reads the wide band signal from my lm-1. i programmed the lm-1 to send a 0-1v signal to the narrow band gauge so it reads what the wide band o2 pics up but the lm-1 has a desplay i can look at and my pms screen has boost/vac so both those gauges are already covered elsewhere. can probably sell them and get a couple bux
Old 11-14-2006, 09:35 PM
SSKiller
4th Gear Member

You do realize, for it to NHRA approved you have to have padding anywhere that your head can hit. It is coming along though. Put that locker in and you will really like spend money on tires.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:40 PM
hardcore91LX
2nd Gear Member

you know if you want to keep the gauges you can get the cups that mount to the bars.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:43 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

ok, ill buy that later. padding would just be in the way right now while im still welding. there is plenty of room between the halo and the roof to put padding. after the cage is in and fully painted, then ill worry about padding

even still, the car will never be run in an nhra event so im not really worried about it. if it was id have to go get the cage certified and all that fun $hit. but the tracks i go to follow nhra rules as far as track times and safety requirements (i.e. hoop at 11.49 and cage at 10.99) but it can be any hoop or any cage. i wouldnt be surprised if theyd let a car run with a pvc pipe cage lol i mostly want the cage so the car will be ridged and put the power down. 461rwhp isnt enough and im tired of running a stock cam so more hp will be on the way. and i can run as fast as 10.00 in the street legal class which is all that i run in.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:45 PM
SSKiller
4th Gear Member

Hey Jeremy I need some gauges.......
Old 11-14-2006, 09:56 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Nice freakin' job man, congrats!!!
Old 11-14-2006, 10:51 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hardcore91LX

you know if you want to keep the gauges you can get the cups that mount to the bars.
you make a good point........decisions decisions

thanks pro, still so much to do. the first A piller tube came out perfect but i hate that it goes infront of the dash but id have to give up my heater to run it through the dash so thats out. havent even begun to tie in the torque boxes yet.

easton, im almost intentionally not putting in the locker. i cant go to the track without it and i cant break anything if i dont go to the track. kelly wants me to just weld the diff gears but its a street car, not a fan of spools on the street. i keep forgetting to call lentech, im not running till i get a decent valve body. i cant decide between the street terminator and the strip terminator. the strip terminator is over $600 so that will set me back but lentech says its a must have for motors making 600 at the crank. after a cam swap i plan to be/hope to be around 550 at the crank so dont know if the street terminator will be enough. id love to chirp slicks in 3rd with an aod lol
Old 11-15-2006, 06:51 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

put the first a piller tube in today. it was easy because it was already bent and notched from the other day so i just had to spot weld it in place

is it ugly? hell ya! is it functional? absolutely! will it make the body stiffer? no question

can you see the cage from the outside? not really so who cares

like i said in an earlier post, i run in the street legal class so i dont need an nhra approved cage so this will do for this car. i dont plan to run door bars at shoulder hight either. they will probably run parrallel to the arm rest and just below it. that way the car will be a little stiffer and the door bars wont interfere with getting in and out
Old 11-15-2006, 07:53 PM
ILUVMYSTANG
3rd Gear Member

Grats! cant wait to see it all finished.

Quick Reply: stiffening the ol' fox body