5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Valve Seal Check?

Old 11-03-2006, 05:08 PM
95_302_StangMan
3rd Gear Member

Default Valve Seal Check?

Hey everyone. How do you check your valve seal. Or how do you check that the valves wont let compression out? How good of a seal does it have to be? I tried checking by blowing into the ports with soapy water around the valves and looking for bubbles. On 3 of my intake valves there is a very slow leak or bubble. What is your experience with this? Let me know anything you know about this. Thanks
Old 11-03-2006, 08:51 PM
95_302_StangMan
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Valve Seal Check?

Anyone?
Old 11-03-2006, 09:23 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

The valves seals won't let compression out, as on the compression and bang strokes, the valves are closed. The only way to check valve seals is to remove them and to inspect them, and then replace them and see if it makes a difference in oil burning.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:55 PM
threeg502
1st Gear Member

I have a tool for checking valve/cylinder leakage. It's called a leakdown tester. You could have the test done a dealer or shop in you area. It uses compressed air and regulators to measure how much air is leaking out of the cylinder. It also helps you find where its leaking from.

Old 11-03-2006, 09:57 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: threeg502

I have a tool for checking valve/cylinder leakage. It's called a leakdown tester. You could have the test done a dealer or shop in you area. It uses compressed air and regulators to measure how much air is leaking out of the cylinder. It also helps you find where its leaking from.

A leakdown test is good for checking cylinder sealing, but will tell you nothing about valve seal/guide conditions.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:06 PM
fourfivefour
3rd Gear Member

Valve seals only keep oil from running down the valve guide. They have no ability to seal compression. If you have compression in your intake ports you have problems.
When valve seals are bad it will cause the engine to burn oil and smoke.
Worn valve guides on the other hand will cause all sorts of problems.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:11 PM
fourfivefour
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Twisted

A leakdown test is good for checking cylinder sealing, but will tell you nothing about valve seal/guide conditions.
A leak down test will check rings, valves, and headgasket for leaking compression/cylinder pressure. A leakdown test will allow you to find out were you are leaking compression so you know what to fix.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:14 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fourfivefour

ORIGINAL: Twisted

A leak down test will check rings, valves, and headgasket for leaking compression/cylinder pressure. A leakdown test will allow you to find out were you are leaking compression so you know what to fix.
Exactly...cylinder sealing.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:05 AM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

when a valve guide is bad the car will smoke when you let of the gas
Old 11-04-2006, 12:12 AM
threeg502
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 95_302_StangMan

Hey everyone. How do you check your valve seal. Or how do you check that the valves wont let compression out? How good of a seal does it have to be? I tried checking by blowing into the ports with soapy water around the valves and looking for bubbles. On 3 of my intake valves there is a very slow leak or bubble. What is your experience with this? Let me know anything you know about this. Thanks
look at his question.... doy!

I know full well what the valve stem seals do. He's asking about the valves ability to seal in compression.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Valve Seal Check?