5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

gt-40 head ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 04:01 PM
philthy89fifty
4th Gear Member

Default gt-40 head ?

hey i got my motor in but i cant bolt up the power steering pump because the double threaded (thread on both ends) bolt that the power steering pump goes on is too small. i know this hole in the head doubles as the smog tube hole. can you put a head on the wrong side doesn't seem possible. anyone with gt40 experience please help thanks.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:26 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default RE: gt-40 head ?

are you trying to say that the hole in the head is too big?

Because if you are, you may have installed the heads backwards from how they were installed previously...

Anyway, you need Thermactor plugs that will adapt down to the proper size, you can get them on summit
Old 11-05-2006, 10:06 PM
philthy89fifty
4th Gear Member

the heads are the same on both sides. a plug? how will i bolt up the power steering pump?
Old 11-05-2006, 10:37 PM
fourfivefour
3rd Gear Member

A Thermactor plug is a thread insert that reduces the hole from 5/8" to 7/16".
Old 11-05-2006, 11:47 PM
jaznasy69
2nd Gear Member

used to close off any air passages in your heads.

Old 11-05-2006, 11:51 PM
philthy89fifty
4th Gear Member

just ordered them hope they work.

is this common i know alot of people run gt40s but have any of you ran into this problem and had to use these adaptors?

these will alow me to mount the power steering pump using the stock long as bolt that is threaded on both sides correct?
Old 11-10-2006, 10:43 PM
philthy89fifty
4th Gear Member

i used the thermanctor plugs and they suck dic. on broke as i was putting it in. the other was too long but i made that one work for the powersteering i used a plug for the other head but now i'm down one bolt for the alt bracket. anyone who is running gt40 heads please send me a pic of how you have the power steering set up.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:09 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: philthy89fifty

i used the thermanctor plugs and they suck dic. on broke as i was putting it in. the other was too long but i made that one work for the powersteering i used a plug for the other head but now i'm down one bolt for the alt bracket. anyone who is running gt40 heads please send me a pic of how you have the power steering set up.
so what your saying is that you didnt take your time putting the plugs in and you broke one.

had you taken your time doing it, there wouldnt have been any issues. You probably had excessive carbon build up in the threads, which you could have cleaned out with a 5/8" tap
Old 11-10-2006, 11:41 PM
stocksuspension
2nd Gear Member

damm this guys really is spoiled lil bizzzatch

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

so what your saying is that you didnt take your time putting the plugs in and you broke one.

had you taken your time doing it, there wouldnt have been any issues. You probably had excessive carbon build up in the threads, which you could have cleaned out with a 5/8" tap
Old 11-10-2006, 11:44 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: stocksuspension

damm this guys really is spoiled lil bizzzatch

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

yea. im spoiled because the contents my toolbox cost more than your house.... stfu

Quick Reply: gt-40 head ?