5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

help me plan my project please....

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 02:12 AM
BlackLX
4th Gear Member

Default RE: help me plan my project please....

There are atleast 2 people running prochargers on a stock block here. I really don't think prochargers put out more power then other companies such as paxton, vortech etc.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:25 AM
shakes
2nd Gear Member

if you want noise buy a kenne bell or a a-trim vortech... but if you've got the money get a turbo, those things sound badassssssssssssss.

or you could do what i did last year... powershift the **** outta your stock tranny so it sounds like you've got a supercharger
Old 11-06-2006, 02:28 AM
BascoSauce
2nd Gear Member

BlackLX: intresting stuff, but from wat your saying, the only really big difference in the superchargers u mentioned are the price?

Anyone know of a website or thread where I can see actual dyno's from these blowers. I looked at their websites but I sure each is biased towards their own product.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:42 AM
88blackgt
4th Gear Member

a GOOD used nitrous kit can be bought for 600 bucks, and often they are good for as much as 350 horse(not the best idea right away, but it gives you something to grow into). basicly what i was saying is go w/ a GOOD H/C/I, not a budget build, and it will make a great foundation for later on. this way you wont be buying things twice, and you will gain more from every other mod you do. Get a good H/C/I and it will help you a TON down the road.

as far as the aftermarket block comment, as far as the motor goes, w/ forged internals and a good nitrous kit, you can go beyond the limits of a stock block if you would like. basicly w/ the forged rotating assembly, the next weakest thing in your motor is the block.

abolutely, you can go ahead and put a procharger on a stock block. it will be the same as making the power any other way. i just suggested waiting because if you get a nice H/C/I first, you will get more power from the blower. also if you have an aftermarket block, you will be able to fully utilize a much larger blower than one intended for more "stock" applications. In this case, you could keep the nitrous and run a small shot + intercooler spray. if you go this route, no money is wasted re-purchasing things or not needing certain things later on.

my idea in a nutshell: get a nice H/C/I as a good foundation, only thing you would possibly want to change is the cam, but you can plan ahead for this also. throw the nitrous on there to have some fun while saving up for the next set of motor mods, like blower and block. this way, everything keeps adding up and nothing is wasted, and you get to have fun along the way. you could add the blower first, you may be able to save some money not having to get it tuned if you wait to get the blower later. also later on you may move out of the efficiency range of a smaller blower if you decide to go supercharger first. either way you cant really go wrong.

as far as superchargers go, paxton and procharger are both very good choices, probably 2 of the best companies for centrifugal superchargers(along w/ vortech)

sorry for the long post, just my .02
Old 11-06-2006, 03:00 AM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Heads, Custom Grind Cam, Good Flowing manifold, 9-10 psi will put you at 400rwhp+ range. Not too much more but right in that area. And it will cost you about the same. If i could save my money all at once I would go with a turbo... but thats just because I love them lol
Old 11-06-2006, 03:01 AM
8Mustang8
2nd Gear Member

what about the novi 2000, aren't they supposed to be a way good supercharger too
Old 11-06-2006, 10:45 AM
BascoSauce
2nd Gear Member

Yea turbos are insane....I love the power you can generate from them, but they just don't make the same sound as a supercharger, and IMO whines are sweeter.

That's why I was wondering if I can have a whine, with the same power, for the same price? Know wat I mean?

I was originally looking at the hellion kit for 5k, as I comes very complete and again, the numbers are impressive!

My guess is after the turbo is said and done, I'd be out around 6500. I need the shipping, the labor to install it, and then the tune.

I don't know if anyone has seen the article I'm talkin about, but if not check it

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...rbo/index.html
Old 11-06-2006, 11:04 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: BascoSauce

Yea turbos are insane....I love the power you can generate from them, but they just don't make the same sound as a supercharger, and IMO whines are sweeter.

That's why I was wondering if I can have a whine, with the same power, for the same price? Know wat I mean?

I was originally looking at the hellion kit for 5k, as I comes very complete and again, the numbers are impressive!

My guess is after the turbo is said and done, I'd be out around 6500. I need the shipping, the labor to install it, and then the tune.

I don't know if anyone has seen the article I'm talkin about, but if not check it

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...rbo/index.html
YOU NEED TO STOP THINKING ABOUT THE HELLION KIT....

seriously. A B&G Turbo kit can be had for around $3250, and the injectors/maf/tune will only run you another 1k... which still drops you short of the hellions price BEFORE installation.

Installing a turbo kit isnt exactly rocket science. When i drop in my kit, I'm going to be removing my oil pan so i can drill it and mount the oil return without getting shavings in the pan itself. I figure, since the pan gasket leaks anyway.... why not.

There is no great mystery to installing a turbo kit, and it can be done over a weekend if all the tools needed are available.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:18 AM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 8Mustang8

what about the novi 2000, aren't they supposed to be a way good supercharger too
Yes, the Novi 2000 is a really good supercharger. I just say a 1000 because with some upgrades you can easily pull 9-10 psi out of it. A 8' crank pulley and a power pipe should put you right about there. With a H/C/I you really dont need a 2000.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:48 AM
BascoSauce
2nd Gear Member

AdderMK2: your telling me that I can get the same gains from a B&G turbo kit for only 3250, as I can with a 5k hellion kit? I'm not doubting you I just haven't heard much about them, and the hellion kit took a stock LX to 400rwhp with a tune.

If you could give me more info I'd be more than willing to check it out! Its also cheaper than most superchargers so I might actually go this route if it proves to be as powerful.

Thanks again guys!

Quick Reply: help me plan my project please....