5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Roll cage

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 02:38 PM
ModularFox
Banned

Default RE: Roll cage

i say go for it, my white 85 is caged, and the red 89 is getting caged asap.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:40 PM
88blackgt
4th Gear Member

i dono but right under my left arm is a big huge bar, and i would rather not have my ribs go into it, padding or not. im getting the removable bars as soon as possible lol. i think the only part of a cage that would make it less safe for a passenger(without the harness, helmet) is if it has a door bar.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:43 PM
Dubs
2nd Gear Member

personally I think the side door bars are for just looks

once i get them powder coated..im going post up a pic
Old 11-06-2006, 03:17 PM
secondhandloser
2nd Gear Member

a roll cage is very dangerous in a street car, not only for the risk of cracking your unprotected head open like a watermelon dropped on the sidewalk, but because it gets in the way of the car's original safety systems.
Granted, you may never have anything bad happen to you in it, but I wouldn't risk it. Not in a street car.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:35 PM
ModularFox
Banned

i remember seeing a while back a white car on the forum that got into an accident, i believe the guy died? that car looked really bad. Im willing to bet if it had a cage, there might have been some chance that he would have survived. Cages save lives, thats what their meant to do. Thats my opinion and everyone can think what they want, but even if my street car didnt need one to tech in at the track, it would still have one. Thats just my .02 though.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:19 PM
Dubs
2nd Gear Member

Modular..I agree with you.

I respect peoples opinions on roll cages. Peopla always asked me why did I decide to get a roll cage..and my answer is 1. Hopefully it will save my life in case of a crash. 2. It looks cool on a vert. I just cant wait to get it powder coated white.

I know it's a dangerous factor for street cars. Me personally my car isnt daily driven car so I'm not worried about it to much.

If it's time to go it's time to go, but if you can have that one extra protection, abd be happy with it, it never hurts to have it.

ORIGINAL: ModularFox

i remember seeing a while back a white car on the forum that got into an accident, i believe the guy died? that car looked really bad. Im willing to bet if it had a cage, there might have been some chance that he would have survived. Cages save lives, thats what their meant to do. Thats my opinion and everyone can think what they want, but even if my street car didnt need one to tech in at the track, it would still have one. Thats just my .02 though.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:02 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: secondhandloser

it gets in the way of the car's original safety systems.
Such as what? Its not like foxbody or even sn95 stangs have side curtain airbags. And with a cage youre probably using 4/5 or even 6 point harnesses to keep you in place so that removes the neccessity for the cars own seatbelt. So what other safety features does it impede?
-P.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:24 PM
5liter87
2nd Gear Member

wow, appreciate the help guys, you raised alot of points i definetly never thought of....i think its a tossup for me right now. Definetly makes since, i think i am the kinda person who would get that "invincible feeling." I am not a safe driver, but if i am going to push my car to the limits, i NEVER like doing it in sharp turns or in traffic. I mainly like just racing light-light, straight-line ****. When people pass me when im doin more than 100-110, ill usually come to my senses and let off. My question is, if i get into a "normal" accident, that is, i am cut off, hit in the rear, something everyday, would the roll cage be MORE of a danger to me and the front passenger, saying if i did the project, id use a 8pt cage, and real 4pt harnesses. No helmet, obviously tho.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:58 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

i can defenitely see both sides of the argument. it has a lot to do with the type of crash you get in. if your get T boned with a full cage your car would be stiff and probably not crumple but the door bar may slam your ribs. if the car didnt have a cage youd probably die if the car T boned you hard enough.

in a roll over if you dont have a 5 point harness on and you have a cage your going to be bouncing all over the place hitting pipes with every part of your body. but wtf are you doing on the street that caused a roll over......?

im in the middle of putting a cage in my car right now. with the hp i have now im shooting for faster then 11.5 so ill need at least a roll bar. i firgure a cage is just a few more tubes then a roll bar so im going all the way. plus after the tranny is rebuild im going to see if i can squeeze another 40rwhp out of my motor and shoot for a high 10second run.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:07 PM
PONY GUY
4th Gear Member

my car came with a 8point cage and a 5 point harness. I padded the cage with thick foam its all welded in (cage) so i'm not gona cut it out since its njhra legal

Quick Reply: Roll cage