5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

What's with my damn clutch?!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 09:40 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Default What's with my damn clutch?!!

So I got my clutch replaced about four months ago, and it was working well. At that time, they replaced all bearings, and the clutch fork. Then a month later, I started to hear a metallic "tink" sound everytime I pushed the clutch down--whether the car was running or not--and I could feel it in the pedal as I pushed it down. So I took it back to the shop. They pulled the clutch back out (I watched them), inspected it, and found nothing wrong with any associated parts. They ordered a new clutch just to be safe, and installed it with a new bearing retainer. Everything has been fine for the last couple months until today, when it started doing it again. It started doing it immediately after I ratcheted my quadrant up one click to adjust the pedal. The sound appears to be coming from under the car. I'm so frustrated. Any ideas?
Old 11-06-2006, 09:44 PM
PONY GUY
4th Gear Member

Default RE: What's with my damn clutch?!!

You cable you be hanging up or i heard of the clutch fork being cracked and making tha t noise too
Old 11-06-2006, 09:46 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PONY GUY

You cable you be hanging up or i heard of the clutch fork being cracked and making tha t noise too
Thanks Pony Guy. I am hoping that it's just the cable; although it doesn't seem like it is. Also, when they pulled the clutch back out, I inspected the clutch fork myself, thinking that one of those little metal prongs was getting tweeked. Everything looked fine though. I don't know what to think.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:49 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

was the polit bearing ever replaced?
Old 11-06-2006, 10:07 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2 kwik

was the polit bearing ever replaced?
Thanks 2 kwik. They told me originally that they replaced all bearings associated with the clutch. I'll go try to find my receipt.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:11 PM
redneckstang
1st Gear Member

sounds like a tweaked pressure plate. one of the spring fingers
Old 11-06-2006, 10:12 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

Didn't you replace your cable at one time and have problems then? Maybe the pivot on the bellhousing is loose.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:45 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: redneckstang

sounds like a tweaked pressure plate. one of the spring fingers
Thanks fellas. Yeah, that's what we thought the problem would be last time. Then they pulled the clutch back out and all the springs were fine.

That may be what it is, 5.0stanger. I replaced the cable once with an Autozone number, but it was so stiff that I returned it the next day. The thing is, I think I remember the mechanics taking the cable off, and reproducing the sound by moving the clutch fork manually. I guess I'll have to have them tear into it again. It just sucks because everytime they tear into the clutch, I have to take my car to a muffler shop to have my exhaust realigned.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:50 AM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Dont get a OE cable Get a aftermarket one with firewall adjuster.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:53 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Thanks Snake. I'm praying that it is the cable causing the problem, as I truly don't feel like letting anyone operate on my car at this time--I've been having so much fun with it lately!

Quick Reply: What's with my damn clutch?!!