5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

T5 bit the dust!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 09:53 PM
topless91gt
1st Gear Member

Default RE: T5 bit the dust!!

With all due respect, I do know how to drive. I have 180,000 miles on the car so it was about time for something to give. I was cruising down the interstate at 75mph in 5th gear, so i wasnt being hard on her at all.
I am definately interested in having you do the rebuild. I don't trust a junkyard tranny. I can spend about the same money and actually know what i've got. I'm gonna check a couple more options in my area. I'll probably be in touch when i get the money.
Thanks a lot man..

quote]ORIGINAL: 94gtcoupe

it happens because people can't drive and they think they can... if a t-5 can sit behind a 10 sec. car all summer with no problems then no one in this forum sohuld have a problem... and yes ninety5 is correct i rebuilt trannys cheap excecialy t-5's... i charge 100 labor plus shipping plus parts... you send me the tranny i look it over deside what parts are needed then i call to get prices on the parts. then call you and tell you the price of parts and you tell me to go ahead and fix it or tell me not toworry about it ( if you deside you don't want to fix it i'll put the tranny back together and send it back to you if you wish or i can discard it for free around here.) if it's just a simple syncro rebuild parts are about 200 shipped to my door... i only get parts form a place in michigan (i won't use junk in my trannys) so if it only needs a syncro rebuild i would charger you 300 + shipping the cheapest place i know of that will do a rebuilt on a t-5 is 600... i know there are cheaper places out there but none that i know of... if your interested let me know
[/quote]
Old 11-07-2006, 10:55 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

I'm very disturbed by the fact that a T5 will just break for no good reason. I could understand if one were ragging on it when it broke. I just keep hearing stories of people driving along peacefully in 5th on the highway, and their trannies suddenly going out. Makes me want to replace mine before it even breaks.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:35 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

ok, now heres the thing a T-5 is BARELY enough to handle the strength of a STOCK 5.0, with just a few extra HP or ft-lbs of torque, or a nice set of soft tires you already put the tranny over its limit, I've had a 20 year old T-5 shift perfectly behind a stock engine upto the day the car it was in burned down LOL
Old 11-08-2006, 12:22 AM
BlackLX
4th Gear Member

^^Is that true? I've been thinking about doing the aod to t5 swap this winter but I won't if it's just going to break. Can a stock t5 handle launches with DRs on a full bolt on car?
Old 11-08-2006, 12:47 AM
musclemustang94
3rd Gear Member

ive heard that as long as you dont power shift the T-5 its fine. Ive read in a mustang reference manual that the aluminum case is a HUGE weak point in it, the case actually flexes under hard acceleration and makes the gears bind up. The T-5 has been used in tons of cars including little jap sports cars and really isn't much of a tranny against a V-8, although it is a good tranny, not really enough for a car thats going to get alot of track time. I guess its good on the street though.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:48 AM
musclemustang94
3rd Gear Member

by the way, mine is REALLY noisy and vibrates alot in first gear at WOT.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:39 AM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

yea 180000 miles is about time for most trannys to start having problems i was assuming it was around 80k or 100k not 180k [&:]
ORIGINAL: topless91gt

With all due respect, I do know how to drive. I have 180,000 miles on the car so it was about time for something to give. I was cruising down the interstate at 75mph in 5th gear, so i wasnt being hard on her at all.
I am definately interested in having you do the rebuild. I don't trust a junkyard tranny. I can spend about the same money and actually know what i've got. I'm gonna check a couple more options in my area. I'll probably be in touch when i get the money.
Thanks a lot man..

quote]ORIGINAL: 94gtcoupe

it happens because people can't drive and they think they can... if a t-5 can sit behind a 10 sec. car all summer with no problems then no one in this forum sohuld have a problem... and yes ninety5 is correct i rebuilt trannys cheap excecialy t-5's... i charge 100 labor plus shipping plus parts... you send me the tranny i look it over deside what parts are needed then i call to get prices on the parts. then call you and tell you the price of parts and you tell me to go ahead and fix it or tell me not toworry about it ( if you deside you don't want to fix it i'll put the tranny back together and send it back to you if you wish or i can discard it for free around here.) if it's just a simple syncro rebuild parts are about 200 shipped to my door... i only get parts form a place in michigan (i won't use junk in my trannys) so if it only needs a syncro rebuild i would charger you 300 + shipping the cheapest place i know of that will do a rebuilt on a t-5 is 600... i know there are cheaper places out there but none that i know of... if your interested let me know
[/quote]
Old 11-08-2006, 01:42 AM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

open it up and look at it, could be a bad gear, realy ****ed up syncro (thats what mine was)
ORIGINAL: musclemustang94

by the way, mine is REALLY noisy and vibrates alot in first gear at WOT.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:17 AM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BlackLX

^^Is that true? I've been thinking about doing the aod to t5 swap this winter but I won't if it's just going to break. Can a stock t5 handle launches with DRs on a full bolt on car?
keeping in mind that mine was the weaker of the World Class T-5s, for you I would look for one outta a 87+ the newer the yeer the better
Old 11-08-2006, 02:22 AM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

86+ was the WC t-5 not 87 but that don't matter.... they didn't get any stonger after 90 just make sure the case is nice clean and sturdy layit on it's side and stand on it with out the internals in it. if it flexes then you'll have problems, i would personaly get a 94-95 tranny and swap the bell housins and the input shaft. the newer the case the better

Quick Reply: T5 bit the dust!!