5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

T5 bit the dust!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 02:34 AM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

Default RE: T5 bit the dust!!

ORIGINAL: 94gtcoupe

86+ was the WC t-5 not 87 but that don't matter.... they didn't get any stonger after 90 just make sure the case is nice clean and sturdy layit on it's side and stand on it with out the internals in it. if it flexes then you'll have problems, i would personaly get a 94-95 tranny and swap the bell housins and the input shaft. the newer the case the better
86 was the first year of world class T-5s but 86 was weaker then the 87+ WC t-5s, hence why I said "mine was the weaker of the world class t-5s"

instead of looking through my gazillion bookmarks for the site I'll post Adders post

https://mustangforums.com/fb.asp?m=2218989
Old 11-08-2006, 02:38 AM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

true that i thought you where trying to say the 87+ was the WC and yea the 86 WC was xonsiderable weaker than the newer ones, mostly because it was the first time they made the tanny that way
Old 11-08-2006, 02:39 AM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 86 5.0L

ORIGINAL: 94gtcoupe

86+ was the WC t-5 not 87 but that don't matter.... they didn't get any stonger after 90 just make sure the case is nice clean and sturdy layit on it's side and stand on it with out the internals in it. if it flexes then you'll have problems, i would personaly get a 94-95 tranny and swap the bell housins and the input shaft. the newer the case the better
86 was the first year of world class T-5s but 86 was weaker then the 89+ WC t-5s, hence why I said "mine was the weaker of the world class t-5s"

instead of looking through my gazillion bookmarks for the site I'll post Adders post

https://mustangforums.com/fb.asp?m=2218989
oh and its 89+ not 87 that they got stronger, sorry, too tired

and to make it clear, it was LATE 85 that WC T-5s were used, to my knowledge
Old 11-08-2006, 02:40 AM
LCBlackDep183
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: topless91gt

I was coming home from work this morning cruising in 5th gear. All the sudden I heard a pop and now all I have is 4th and reverse. Anyone know what might have happened? I thought about rebuilding it myself but I'll probably just hit the junkyards and find me another one so it can happen all over again! I am getting married in 6 weeks so i am on a pretty tight budget. Are there any other alterantives that wouldnt cost a fortune? Thanks!
Hey hey man we need to get one thing straight here... MUSTANG FIRST WOMAN NEXT...

God some men need to get their prioritys in order...
Old 11-08-2006, 08:39 AM
Stanpower
4th Gear Member

I would say best bet is to go to your local junk yard and grab a used one there........If your on a budget $$
Old 11-08-2006, 12:17 PM
jclaudii
1st Gear Member

I remember when I rebuilt mine, the parts alone for it was around 400. This was about 5 years ago too. I orderd my parts directly from Nationl Drivetrain and my Older Brother and I rebuilt it. I got a little happy in reverse and stripped the main cluster gear. It was really not that hard to rebuild, if you have a FSM or a good breakdown of the tranny. WE got a couple of the syncros in wrong, but it still shifts. What it mainy does is if you in neutral and you push clutch in and go directly to reverse, it will grind for a min. You have to hit 5th then reverse to avoid grinding.

My car now has 275,000+ miles on it so far it's holding together. I would recomend the junk yard rout or to get more bang for your buck, find a wrecked mustang and buy it as a whole car with a salvage title and part it out. That is what I've been on the look out for so I can get lots of parts here and there without paying alot at the yard.

Good luck.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:13 PM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

you striped the cluster gear?!?! how the FUC* do you do that? i mean i know it's possable but god damn man thats like hard as hell to do expecialy on reverse... and thats why parts where so much u had to buy the whole gear + a syncro kit, and i donno how u managed to put syncros in the wrong way, considering the syncros in a t-5 are different size for each gear except 4th and 5th
Old 11-09-2006, 12:08 PM
topless91gt
1st Gear Member

Mine was noisy in 3rd and had a high speed vibration in 4th and 5th

[
quote]ORIGINAL: musclemustang94

by the way, mine is REALLY noisy and vibrates alot in first gear at WOT.
[/quote]
Old 11-09-2006, 12:22 PM
topless91gt
1st Gear Member

I hear you man. We had a talk yesterday and told her I'm keeping my car. She finally gave up but she is gonna get pissed again when I start modding. Looks like I need to to find a tranny and a divorce lawyer!
ORIGINAL: LCBlackDep183

ORIGINAL: topless91gt

I was coming home from work this morning cruising in 5th gear. All the sudden I heard a pop and now all I have is 4th and reverse. Anyone know what might have happened? I thought about rebuilding it myself but I'll probably just hit the junkyards and find me another one so it can happen all over again! I am getting married in 6 weeks so i am on a pretty tight budget. Are there any other alterantives that wouldnt cost a fortune? Thanks!
Hey hey man we need to get one thing straight here... MUSTANG FIRST WOMAN NEXT...

God some men need to get their prioritys in order...
Old 11-13-2006, 04:26 PM
jclaudii
1st Gear Member

OK...Here is how I blew up my cluster gear......

Once upon a time when I was 16 I was parcked on a front end down on a boat ramp dropping some friends off. I gave it some gas and popped the clutch so I wouldn't roll forward. I spin my tires which was fun. But then it started hopping for maybe three for four times in the rear. About the fourth hop when it came down i lost my transmission. I was showing off and it cost me alot. I called my dad we pulled it up bass ackwards and loaded it onto a trailer.

We still had the use of first gear, but we decided not to drive it on so as not to mess it up anymore.

I ordered a new reverse gear and a cluster gear and a syncro kit. I'm guessing either the syncro's were installed with very little play and wore out prematurly or we ended up getting the old ones mixed up.

Long story Do NOT...spin in reverse!

My wife likes my car if it wasn't a POS. I also keep it around because if I drop it off our insurance it goes up by 25 bucks. WTF. But I told her I'll at least get it back into cosmetically pleasing condition so we can use it for some weekend cruising. Also, it's nice to have a extra vehicle around in case one of your others mess up. I would loan it out to some my family and friends, but very few can drive a standard. Another thing I started doing is buying the cheaper clutches. From autozone and o-reily's that way my clutch usually lets go before my transmission does. I have a adjustable clutch quadrant and I just adjust it as nessary when the time comes.

Good luck on finding a transmission, call your local impounds and salvage vehicle resalers.

If this car isn't your daily driver, I would look for a good wrecked car and steal the tranny out of it. or buy the whole car. There are enough scavengers on the net you can part it out to pay for you investment.

Quick Reply: T5 bit the dust!!