5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

T5 bit the dust!!

Old 11-07-2006, 05:00 PM
topless91gt
1st Gear Member

Default T5 bit the dust!!

I was coming home from work this morning cruising in 5th gear. All the sudden I heard a pop and now all I have is 4th and reverse. Anyone know what might have happened? I thought about rebuilding it myself but I'll probably just hit the junkyards and find me another one so it can happen all over again! I am getting married in 6 weeks so i am on a pretty tight budget. Are there any other alterantives that wouldnt cost a fortune? Thanks!
Old 11-07-2006, 05:05 PM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

Default RE: T5 bit the dust!!

94gtcoupe rebuilds them for pretty cheap, as long as you send him the tranny and the rebuild kit....I think thats how it works..
Old 11-07-2006, 05:23 PM
goathead75
3rd Gear Member

Wait until after the wedding and then take some of the gift money and get a new Tremec....or is that like an express lane to divorce?
Old 11-07-2006, 06:15 PM
Glasersil
3rd Gear Member

^^^ LOL Hunny i'm going to need to use our wedding money on a new tranny LOL!
Old 11-07-2006, 06:26 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

This is the second time someone has posted about this happening in the last month! Why does this happen?
Old 11-07-2006, 06:57 PM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

it happens because people can't drive and they think they can... if a t-5 can sit behind a 10 sec. car all summer with no problems then no one in this forum sohuld have a problem... and yes ninety5 is correct i rebuilt trannys cheap excecialy t-5's... i charge 100 labor plus shipping plus parts... you send me the tranny i look it over deside what parts are needed then i call to get prices on the parts. then call you and tell you the price of parts and you tell me to go ahead and fix it or tell me not toworry about it ( if you deside you don't want to fix it i'll put the tranny back together and send it back to you if you wish or i can discard it for free around here.) if it's just a simple syncro rebuild parts are about 200 shipped to my door... i only get parts form a place in michigan (i won't use junk in my trannys) so if it only needs a syncro rebuild i would charger you 300 + shipping the cheapest place i know of that will do a rebuilt on a t-5 is 600... i know there are cheaper places out there but none that i know of... if your interested let me know
Old 11-07-2006, 07:03 PM
topless91gt
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I'd say that would set the record for the world shotest marriage. LOL! We are already fighting over the stang. She said "why don't you just sell it for parts?" I think she is going crazy already! She is also trying to get me to sell my bike! WOMEN!!
ORIGINAL: goathead75

Wait until after the wedding and then take some of the gift money and get a new Tremec....or is that like an express lane to divorce?
Old 11-07-2006, 07:06 PM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

lol yea that would cause a short marriage
Old 11-07-2006, 07:07 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Not always the case 94GT, running a T-5 hard for 10 seconds is not the same as running one hard for several minutes. Ive grenaded a total of 18 or 19 (so many I forgot) T-5's. ALL of them had bearing failure, or output shaft bearing race failure. Some of em were rebuildable some were not. Mine mainly failed because of repeated extreme high speed use. Most of the time the money needed to rebuild would by far exceed the price of another trans. So I opted to get a new trans.
-P.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:24 PM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

the car i'm refurring to is not only driven at the track it gets about 10k miles a yea, and he beats on the car, and it'ss because they are completly stock when you buy a new one. take the time to take it apart, add steel bearing retainers(if you have problems with them) new syncros, and grind some dog teeth down (i do not take responsabilty if you to this wrong are f*ck s*it up) the tranny's i was talking about are in a 10 sec. maverick and a 11 sec. maverick the 10 sec. gets about 10k miles a year and the 11 gets about 5k miles a year... the only upgrade to the tranny is a steel input shaft retainer (had proples with the throw out bearing) and ground down dog teeth other than that it's all stock

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: T5 bit the dust!!