5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

my multiple coils idea

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 09:34 PM
brianradomski

Default my multiple coils idea

has disappeared or something, its been put on a back burner for now i guess, I just dont see it anymore!. I recieved a persomal e-mail that the idea wont work. To be concise More and more I am becoming a believer that it has to be made to work. I LOVE: There has to be a way!
A MASSIVE THANK YOU to the member who repled to me anyway. Uhm, POLITE but negative feedback is my prefrence over NO reply at all! I am told that my conecpt is way more in depth than this forum: you dont know the wonderful compliment that is!
Also, to the moderator/administrator who wrote me a reassurance, heh heh THANK YOU (imagine that I just grabbed your hand for a very sincere robust handshake!!! )I needed that!
ENJOYABLE FORUM HERE SO FAR!!
Old 11-07-2006, 09:57 PM
TwotoneVert
5th Gear Member

Default RE: my multiple coils idea

Brian, the concept of what you are discussing is certainly possible, and as an electrical engineer, I can see how it may work. Please keep in mind that what works on paper may not always work in application. I will not say that you cannot do it, I have no idea what your expertise' may be, or how mechanically inclined you are, but I believe the cost will be more than will justify the possible gains. I know that may not be what you want to hear, but it is my honest opinion.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:07 PM
88blackgt
4th Gear Member

i think he's doing it more as a challenge than to see real gains, am i correct?
Old 11-07-2006, 10:45 PM
ROTTITANK
3rd Gear Member

Are u talking about a single coil for each cylinder.Like a ls1 set up. If so its been done. Ive seen it . Ill look for the link and post it.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:35 AM
brianradomski

replying my gratitude AND further explainantion to you all always results in a big dissertation/treatise/thesis on the topic of efficient ignition, then this computor froze I had to shut down and restart I am nodding off here so will have to go inot this another time.....for now please accept....THANK YOU!!
Old 11-08-2006, 10:05 PM
brianradomski

WEll I am back for a bit. I saw one post where it is said that i am pursuing this more for the challenge than for the gain.....WHA???????????? I just drove my beloved 1982 ford country squire wagon with 302 on ....well letscall it a 650 mile roundtrip.....uhm.....trip. My KIm and I both went, sadly forafuneral out of state but anyway, both ways .......I swear by and love cruise control i left it set for 70 in both directions.
Now that we are back i am analyzing EVERYTHING including the car. One issue I "dwell" on is that poor SINGLE ignition coil !! THIS: I have seen engines just idling without a valve cover, even at idle those valves are moving fast enough that they look just about like blurrs, RACE the engine and they blur as if not moving.
An irony is that .........UGH the reverance respect I have for a gas engine what they do how fast they do it how fast everything happnes...inefficient(?????) I really have to disagree, for what happens and how fast it happens makes internal combustian engine very amazing, ingenius, an engineering masterpeice, so there has to be an efficiency somewhere.
Go back to how fast everything happens, o.k. inefficient here, that electrical apparatus the coil. If the mechanical parts are blurred when moving fast then what would the coil look like if the arcs could be seen?? a steady spark that seems to just stay there or blinks/arcs so fast that, indeed how can ONE coil's performance be efficient if it is firing all the spark plugs and it has to fire them THAT fast......in my opinion......NO.
So I am simply studying this. I would be really joyed if ....WHEN I devise an experimental ignition system that simply adapts what is under my hoods (i own 3 cars) now to fire "a coil per cylinder". One coil HAS to miss fire here and there now and again. But a failsafe system of a coil percylinder, each coil has "better" recharge time. Is one coil a confused mess of charge and boost cycles overlapping each other so often that.......you get a misfire(?) INEFFICIENT!
So as per the comment "am i just out for the challenge more than the gain" be reassured ohhhhhhh how I swoon the thought of how the old squire would have could have performed, with multiple coils rather than one, and WHAT BETTER MILEAGE i coulda got! TO CONCLUDE, NO OFFENSES TAKEN NON MEANT, how we doin??? THANK YOU!!
Old 11-08-2006, 10:23 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

My ford expedition had 8 coils and no wires....one coil per cylinder...is that what you are talking about?
Old 11-08-2006, 10:23 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

i believe it would be possible, as long as your computer system was programmed to do so. everything would have to be custom programed by an automotive computer programmer. pcm and icm. just seems like a lot, but who knows. independently coiled cylinders are more efficient than 1 coil for all. distributor would be useless as this point, so maybe stick a hood ornament in that hole maybe a 10-15 hp gain? hmm. try it out and let us know
Old 11-08-2006, 10:45 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

put in a 4.6
Old 11-08-2006, 10:55 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

we really dont need to get into this too far. go on SDSEFI.com, they sell full standalone EMU's that come with a coil pack setup much like what GM runs. Its been a while since ive gotten into depth with a EDIS system, but what are you planning on using as a trigger, a Hall effects sensor, maybe even Variable-Reluctance (VR) sensor.

Its been done, and your net exactly breaking new ground... i hate to burst your bubble, but i was running a pair of GM coil packs on my 1991 Ford probe GT equipped with a megasquirt.

Quick Reply: my multiple coils idea