5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Electric Water Pump

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 05:42 AM
90gt831
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Electric Water Pump

how much will a belt run you anyways, i think i need one but some guy at jiffy lube wanted 60 bucks!!! so can some1 tell me what i shouold expect to pay??
Old 11-09-2006, 06:22 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 90gt831

how much will a belt run you anyways, i think i need one but some guy at jiffy lube wanted 60 bucks!!! so can some1 tell me what i shouold expect to pay??
+1. Same question, same situation.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:52 AM
verter2
2nd Gear Member

I hate to say this, but Chevy uses electric water pumps (had one on my stock 95 Caprice Classic). So if those clowns can do it...So Can We. BTW, the Caprice was a hand-me down. The good pumps out there are well built and should be no problem for street use-no reason to be scared of them (mechanical, belt driven WPs fail also. I plan on having my electric WP & fan on manual control; I like the idea of being able to run them both after driving to cool the motor down.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:55 AM
kl92gt
3rd Gear Member

im lookin to get one on a street car too but i heard they dont last very long does anyone know if thats true?
Old 11-09-2006, 01:23 PM
ltrayne84
2nd Gear Member

a belt shouldn't run you more than 35-40 bucks.. and i always carry a spare too
Old 11-09-2006, 01:26 PM
Ecstasy
5th Gear Member

bro, if i was you i wouldnt do it, i stick with what i know works you know? NEVER go by hear-say when your doing something like that, if you dont know some1 that did it or havnt done it yourself, stick with it on a belt.

belts arent expensive run anywhers from 20-45 dollars, depending on what you get, in all my cases i ALWAYS use goodyear gatorback, if you have a stock car just get a stock belt, make sure its 6 rib, sometimes ppl dont pay attention to what they grab. goto autozone they sellt he goodyear gatorback. and if you dont have a factory belt just take your current one off and bring it in and size match or if you look on your belt they shoudl have some letters & numbers like i dunno what it begins with but the last 3 are going to be numbers like:

or whatever you have to go by the last 3 digits, 837 = 83.7 inches. and if you cant see it on your belt just size match, BUT MAKE SURE YOUR BELT TENTIONER PULLEY IS IN RANGE. i dont know if any of you have ever noticed it but if yo look by the bolt where its spring loaded they have an arrow and a range its suposoto be in. just get the size you think, get a size bigger, and a size smaller, try them all and bring back the 2 that dont work, then get an extra belt the size your using.

because if your somewheres like on interstate or on vacation or anywheres and that belt shreds or pops, your car will overheat in a matter of mins because no water flowing, no fan. scary site. heres pretty much a list of what i keep:

extra serp. belt
complete tool set(sockets & such)
flashlight or air inflater if you plug it in your cig lighter.
jack
tire
jackstand
a phone(always on me)
a jug of radiator fluid
extra quart of oil

all that has helped me at one time or another and has kept me from getting stranded or having to pay to have my car towed.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:36 PM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

I don't get why everyone is knocking an electric water pump. I have one on my 86 no problem with it at all. If the car gets a little hot, I can turn the car off have the pump and fans still running and cool the engine very quickly. Of coarse you need to upgrade your alternator to power these kinds of things but thats a very simple swap.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:50 PM
Ecstasy
5th Gear Member

nobodys knocking the electric water pump, were saying we wouldnt risk it, myself speaking and the others that agree with me probably dont know any1 with an elec. water pump therfore we dont know how it works, and we dont want to risk it. im sure its probably a nice accessory, but i wouldnt chance putting one on my stang because i dont know how it performs.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:15 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: Ecstasy

nobodys knocking the electric water pump, were saying we wouldnt risk it, myself speaking and the others that agree with me probably dont know any1 with an elec. water pump therfore we dont know how it works, and we dont want to risk it. im sure its probably a nice accessory, but i wouldnt chance putting one on my stang because i dont know how it performs.
So let me get this straight.... you don't have one, don't know anyone who does, don't really know how they work and yet you feel qualified to tell this guy he should not use one? Does anyone see a problem here?
Here is the deal on an electric water pump. It will free up about 6 hp, and it will cool more efficantly, esp at lower rpms. The advantage is that the coolant is always moving at the same rate and the water can be circulated when the engine is off (this is a real advantage at the track). The downside is that, like anything they can fail (even a tradional water pump can fail). This is not a common occurance though and is not a valid reason to not buy one. The CSR units are even rebuildible so if it dies, just rebuild it.

ORIGINAL: Ecstasy

ford put it on a belt for a reason.
Yea it's because it's cheaper

ORIGINAL: 351w8bang93stang

+2 i dont even like electric fans!!! and serpentine belts, cus u lose one belt u loose everything, the water pump is for race applications only as far as i know, waste of cash, its like removing ur starter for wheight reduction and push starting it, seriously it will just make ur alt have to work harder and put mor load on the motor, theres no such thing as free power. turn on everything in ur car and tell me that the motor doesnt change idle cus its working harder and ill tell u to used the pump
Wow.... I don't even know what to say here.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:21 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

i'm not reading all this,but my 86 monte with a 350/400 had an electric water pump....they are built very well,and the housings don't hot like i'd expect...the only reason i have yet put one on my car...is i got so much wiring problems that what i'm running now is ticking

Quick Reply: Electric Water Pump