5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

what to look for in a cam?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 04:49 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Default RE: what to look for in a cam?

? is i guess, will i feel/hear the cam i posted a link for? it looks like thats the best duration i can go w. SD, for peformance, and it has the lowest separation i can get, for sound..
i no its not gonna make it feel amazingly diff, or sound like a pro mod... but will i be able to tell>?
Old 11-09-2006, 04:51 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

why do u say i wont like it? jw? i no its not gonna be a huge diff... but i have to replace a head gasket here soon anyway, so ill be mostly there already... and im getting ready to put slp lm1s on it very soon... figure while im that far inthe motor i might as well change the cam and get a lil... yes i kno itll only be a little performance outa it, and hopefully a sound thatll complament the slps...
Old 11-09-2006, 04:55 AM
Ecstasy
5th Gear Member

no but ive been there before put a cam cuz its what i wanted and i didnt do enough infoing on it before i put it in, put it all back together and it wasnt what i wanted, so i had to take it all back off and redo it all and it ended up costing me double then what it would of to get the cam i wanted + a chip burned. just dont want you to go down the same road i went down. i had an 88 gt speed density. anything you do h/c/i wise your going to feel but unless you do the other 2 its not going to be what you should feel. me and you could put the same cam in our cars and yours may sound better or mine may sound better, its all really what you have with the cam, a nice set of heads, flowing better exhaust is going to make it sound better, and of course like a chambered muffler & chambered mid pipe is going to make it pulse more making it seem to have a lope.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:00 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

ok i gotcha... in all honesty its only $180... thats not gonna kill me at all...i dont expect alota power, im not stupid... i no i cant get alot w. out heads and intake... but i figure it should give me some kinda gains... and was hoping for a nice sound...

as far as other mods on teh car to "complament" the cam idea... nothing... its stock as all can be.. from the air silencer to the exhaust... for now... however im ordering slp lm1s very soon..either before or the same time as the cam... if i get a cam...
Old 11-09-2006, 05:04 AM
Ecstasy
5th Gear Member

its up to you, when you order a cai, get the 1 from mac, they offer a solid 1 piece cai fenderwell mount now, it looks badazz, its 1 pipe that goes from ur tb to ur fenderwell sd, and its suposoto give you more hp then the reg cai fenderwell mount because the piping is 3" or 3 1/2" all the way through and it has nothing interfering with airflow.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:10 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

who said anything bout a cold air intake???
Old 11-09-2006, 05:15 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

either way its 3am, and i gotta be up at 8 for class tm, so needless to say im takin off... but if you have anything else to post on the topic, please do so... ill catch it all in the morning.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:55 AM
QUIKSVT
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dimebag

hows this?

the sticky says itll work w. SD.. and it seems to be the biggest duration i can use w. sd, again acording to the sticky... and has the smallest separation i can get w. SD too....
yeah but thats up there in lift.. i didn't see what heads your running.. if your running a e7te. thats kind of pointless.. cause stock they stop flowing at .500 of valve lift..

if you want a cam with simalr duration and lobe seperation.. run the lunati 51014 lun 218@.50 int 226@ .50 exh .500 int .510exh. on a 112 lobe seperation.. and it sounds bitchin
Old 11-09-2006, 12:58 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

cool thanks man, ill look into that.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:08 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

dimebag, why dont u just do a MAF conversion and then go with whatever cam you want now?

Quick Reply: what to look for in a cam?