5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

GT-40 Aluminum Intake Manifold installed (now maybe injector problem)??

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 05:54 PM
LOVEMY88GT
I ♥ Acer

Default GT-40 Aluminum Intake Manifold installed (now maybe injector problem)??

Alright well the problem that i have now is that i have just installed a GT-40 Aluminum Intake Manifold from Ford Racing and i bought new o rings for the injectors and such and gaskets for everything I removed to for the installation of the new performace parts i put in. Now i am having problems with black smoke coming out the tail pipes and it just seems like the injectors or some of the injectors are plugged up. But i do not know this for sure. I took it down the street and it was wanting to have the throttle alittle. I would back up and i would have to pump it alittle then i went down the street and it seemed to have too much power. It was running kind of rough and not really smooth and it just did not seem like the injectors were spraying. It seems like maybe a few of the injectors maybe are clogged or such but the main thing with the thing is that i think it is running TOO RICH (RUNNING TOO RICH I THINIK, black smoke coming from the tail-pipes, running rough, the only thing i took off was the fuel rail and the injectors for the whole fuel part. So i think it is the injectors but i am not too sure. I mean is there a way to find out if it is the injectors that maybe a few of them are clogged and they are spitting instead of a nice spray for some??? If i could get some help on this it would really help me out. Some thoughts would be nice.

Thanks!!!!

~Nick

[IMG]local://upfiles/8280/ECDF8B3142ED452594E5B9049F47866D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/8280/20DF52493B9846F6B81D1998B7308C0E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/8280/CA426A70BE3C4EC8861D1CFD19981BD8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/8280/2C139F6626C344F3B917BB4CE34D29E3.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-14-2004, 06:08 PM
LOVEMY88GT
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: GT-40 Aluminum Intake Manifold installed (now maybe injector problem)??

Pictures of the intake, idk it just has to be the fuel i would have to say either injectors clogged or running too rich. Well those are my thoughts if you guys have any thoughts be free.

Thanks

~Nick
Old 08-14-2004, 06:15 PM
87mustang347
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: GT-40 Aluminum Intake Manifold installed (now maybe injector problem)??

what size injectors do u have..and check out all the vacume lines again cause when i did my injector i put on my stock intake and had the same problem but then i looked over all the vacume lines and forgot one so check all those again
Old 08-14-2004, 06:35 PM
LOVEMY88GT
I ♥ Acer

Well they are the same stock ones that came i am pretty sure with the car from the dealer. So what problems did you have? I mean it feels like it is just running too rich or some of the injectors are clogged. I will check those vaccum lines but I checked out them all and they seemed good. I will have to check it all over again i guess. If you guys got any other thoughts dont be afraid to ask or tell. Alright thanks for the help!!!

~Nick
Old 08-15-2004, 01:57 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

if your running rich i would think the maf or o2 sensors would have something to do with that, not the injectors. id check all the vacuum lines like 87mustang said.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:00 AM
LOVEMY88GT
I ♥ Acer

ya i took everything off yesterday and i checked all the lines as i took them all off. Then i got to the lower manifold and the fuel rail where the fuel injectors are. They all seemed to be good. They were all plugged in. Well i unplugged the o2 sensors when i did the whole exhast on the car. Because it was backfiring and just running really bad and i had a mess of a problem i thought. So i went replacing everything. (fuel filter, heat sensor, GHR Valve, Throttle Sensor,Then i found out that when you unplugged the o2's it went to working fine. But that was a few months ago i would say or a month. So you think if i plug them in it might work? idk i am going to check everything and such that i have off right now. (With the GT-40 Intake Manifold you plug in less vaccuum lines then you do with the stock ones. I had to get a fax from Ford Racing and they gave me some pictures on how to do it. So idk how i could go wrong there. Well i will check everything with the fuel lines and maybe take out the injectors again and plug them back in and then put everything back in. Then see if it does the same thing. So you think o2's would change that much on my 88?
Thanks!!!!

~Nick
Old 08-15-2004, 11:12 AM
95stang
1st Gear Member

It wouldn't hurt trying to plug the O2's back in and see if it runs better, I mean you can always unplug 'em and it wouldn't cost you anything. Are you running MAF or speed density? If it's a MAF try cleaning your MAF sensor. When mine was filthy it had black smoke coming out the tailpipes.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:30 PM
LOVEMY88GT
I ♥ Acer

I am running speed density. Still the same from the stock one that came with the car when it prob came off of the dealer. So alright i am going to try to see if anything is wrong with the injectors and then i will put everything back and try to plug back in the o2's and see what happens. I will tell u guys what happens. Alright thanks. If you have any other thoughts dont be afraid to say.

~Nick
Old 08-15-2004, 12:48 PM
LOVEMY88GT
I ♥ Acer

****!!! i just broke one of my injector tips on the end do you know anywhere where they sell just one????? damn looks like I am going to have to buy and all new set. What do you think i should get if i get a new set??? I mean like mine does not really need fuel right now so which ones???

Thanks!!!!

~Nick
Old 08-15-2004, 11:44 PM
87mustang347
3rd Gear Member

lol dont worry about it man .the tips donmt really do n e thing n e way. i broke like 4 of mine and oput them back. dont sweat it it dont matter..one wont do n e thing

Quick Reply: GT-40 Aluminum Intake Manifold installed (now maybe injector problem)??