5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Powerdyne superchargers...any wrong with em?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 07:13 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Powerdyne superchargers...any wrong with em?

youd be better off buying a couple of those electric superchargers on ebay then to buy a powerdyne
Old 05-22-2007, 07:30 PM
cassidymustang
4th Gear Member

look. Just buy the novi 1000 for $1650-$1700. Then call up paxton or go here its $159.00
http://www.thefordsource.com/store/m...xton_parts.htm
and its $200 thru paxton.

Then call or go to UPR's website and get the powerpipe they have for $100.(thats
what i paid)

And while your on the phone with paxton you mite as well order a new belt too.
Now you have around 10psi for $2000.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:32 PM
cassidymustang
4th Gear Member

Here is the powerpipe from UPR. i guess its $130 now.

http://www.uprproducts.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=556
Old 05-22-2007, 07:55 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: colameister

I'm sorry to hear that for sskiller. I've also read about that rarecatastropic failurehappening to vortech, paxton, and yes - ati. I'm sorry to hear that for those racers as well. Like I said, there are lemons with everything we buy. I just think (I hope you understand the concept of an opinion) that the majority of powerdyne failures are not due to its quality. I'm not defending them (to do that I would have to oppose thecompetition and I would love to have a vortech, etc). I already stated that they are NOT the best out there. But, they are an option to consider and I'm simply posting my experience for the benefit of the original poster (it just happens to be a good experience).

Please don't read into this - there is no sarcasm, passive-aggressiveness, etc. intended. Only my individual experience and opinion.
There's absolutely wrong with posting your opinion. I'd much rather see that than to have 1000's of lemmings agreeing with every single post.

My problem with Powerdyne is that I hear WAY too many horror stories. True, there are lemons with everything we buy. But more often than not, people that have other brands (ATI, Paxton, KB, Vortech) have little to no problems with their setups. Meanwhile more often than not, people with Powerdynes seem to have major problems.

Awhile back, I used to say that only two people I knew supported Powerdyne... a friend that lives near me that had one in his Mustang and SSKiller. I wasn't joking when I said they supported them. But now both of them are the proud owners of broken Powerdynes. And that seems to be teh story with every other post I have read on here and every person I have talked to in person.

You say that people don't give it the proper break in period and that may cause problems. Well if that is the case, what about all the other brands out there? I highly doubt that people who install a Procharger treat it any differently. They beat on those just as bad. Yet, the failure rate isn't even close.

It's not like this is an "import vs domestic" discussion where people can talk about personal preference. This is talking about the quality of a product. Given their EXTREMELY bad reputation, I don't see why someone would choose a Powerdyne over another system.

I recently checked on the price of a unit just for the hell of it. Right now it would cost me over $100 more to buy a Powerdyne than it would to buy the Procharger that I have (complete kit.)
Old 05-22-2007, 07:59 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Just to add:

With some products I expect you are gonig to have lemons. But with Powerdyne I think it's the opposite. I think getting a "lemon" is the norm and getting a working product is unusual. Maybe you're just one of the very few lucky ones that got one that happened to work for some reason. Hell, even a broken watch is right twice a day.

For the hell of it, go to google and type in Powerdyne and Reputation. I'm sure you won't be surprised by the results. They seem to ahve a really badreputation. Either it is a conspiracy created by their competition, or their product really does suck and people don't like them.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:47 PM
colameister

Yeah, I agree with you man. When I bought the p/d 6 years ago for $1699, it was aboutHALF the cost of the others. But today, a novi 1000 costs about the same, and is definitely the better choice.

I think the main problem is they are a low boost blower that isn't up to the task (reliably) of overspinning. Heck, you're overspinning them if you shift over 5,934 rpms using a 9lb. pulley!!!!! But we all know what happens when we put a 9lber on a h/c/i 302 = 4-5lbs. boost. Then the smaller pullies are put on and its excellerated death for sure!

Also, that inner belt throws another variable in. When I first put the 9lb. pulley on, I broke twoouter drive belts back to back as soon as I got into it. I later learned that you are supposed to heat cycle them before getting on it.I cycled the third belt and it's been on there since. I assume (don't know for fact) that the inner belt is affected by this as well.

So basically,there is no longer a price advantage offsetting the p/d's limitations, so for a new kit the novi gets the win.