5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

check engine light question

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 03:08 PM
iamvillani
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: check engine light question

dude same exact thing happened to me....same codes too...but mine also said fuel pump secondary circut eca to ground, and low voltage it turned out to be a ground from the battery to fender that schredded and corroded....put a new wire on and waal la.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:41 AM
black_pearl_gt
2nd Gear Member

thank you guys so much im going to look into these and see what i can figure out if any one else has any ideas please let me know
Old 11-20-2006, 05:18 PM
black_pearl_gt
2nd Gear Member

ok guys so i went and bought a pickup coil and i took the distributor out to take it apart but i have no freaking clue on how to take it apart does any one know how if so please let me know
Old 11-20-2006, 06:45 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

Stator
SPECIAL SERVICE TOOL(S) REQUIRED Description Tool Number
Axle Bearing/Seal Plate T75L-1165-B

Removal

CAUTION: Do not attempt to replace distributor stator (12A112) without an arbor press or damage to distributor drive gear and distributor (12127) may occur.

CAUTION: The distributor drive gear cannot be replaced separately. If the distributor drive gear is worn or damaged, replace the complete distributor .

Remove distributor cap (12106) and position the distributor cap and ignition wires aside away from the work area.

Disconnect distributor from engine control sensor wiring (12A581) .
Remove distributor rotor (12200) as outlined.
Remove distributor from cylinder block (6010) as outlined.
NOTE: Hold distributor drive gear to loosen armature retaining screws. Do not hold armature.

Remove two screws holding armature and remove armature from distributor shaft.
To ease assembly, mark distributor shaft collar and distributor drive gear with a felt tip pen.
Remove and discard pin in distributor drive gear and in distributor shaft collar.
Invert distributor and support in Axle Bearing/Seal Plate T75L-1165-B. Press distributor drive gear off using Bearing Pulling Attachment D79L-4621-A or equivalent.

Remove distributor shaft collar.
Deburr and polish distributor shaft with emery paper. The shaft should slide freely on the distributor base.
Remove distributor shaft from distributor housing.
Remove octane rod retaining screw and octane rod.
Remove two stator retaining screws.
Remove distributor stator from top of distributor housing.
Inspect distributor housing bushing for wear or signs of excess heat concentration. Replace complete distributor if damaged.
Inspect distributor housing for cracks and wear. Replace complete distributor if damaged.
Inspect distributor housing base O-ring for cuts or damage and replace O-ring if necessary.

Distributor Assembly — Disassembled View

Item Part Number Description
1 — Shaft (Part of 12127)
2 — Octane Rod (Part of 12127)
3 — Grommet (Part of 12127)
4 12127 Distributor
5 12143 Distributor Base O-Ring
6 — Thrust Collar (Part of 12127)
7 — Gear (Part of 12127)
8 — Screws (2 Req'd) (Part of 12127)
9 12A112 Distributor Stator
A — Tighten to 1.7-4.0 Nm (15-35 Lb-In)

Installation

Place distributor stator over distributor housing bushing and install into seat.
Place stator connector in position. Place tab in notch on distributor housing and fastening eyelets aligned with screw holes.
Position stator wires away from moving parts.
Install two stator retaining screws and tighten to 1.7-4.0 Nm (15-35 lb-in).
Install octane rod and retaining screw. Tighten to 1.7-4.0 Nm (15-35 lb-in).
Apply a light coat of Motor Oil XO-10W30-QSP or -DSP or equivalent meeting Ford specification ESE-M2C153-E to distributor shaft below armature.
Insert distributor shaft through distributor housing bushing.
Install distributor shaft collar and new roll pin.
Place a 1/2 inch deep-well socket over distributor shaft on armature end of distributor shaft. Invert distributor and place on arbor press plate.

Place the distributor drive gear on lower distributor shaft end. Line up the mark on collar and distributor drive gear.
CAUTION: If distributor drive gear is damaged, do not replace gear. Serious engine damage may result. Replace complete distributor .

NOTE: The hole in the distributor shaft and distributor drive gear must be lined up as accurately as possible to ensure ease of roll pin insertion.

Place a 5/8 inch deep-well socket over the distributor shaft and distributor drive gear and press distributor drive gear to align with hole.

NOTE: If the distributor drive gear hole does not align, the distributor drive gear must be removed and pressed on again. A drift punch will not align the holes.

Insert new roll pin through distributor drive gear and distributor shaft. Pin should have proper extrusion.
Replace armature on distributor shaft and tighten screws to 2.8-4.0 Nm (25-35 lb-in).
NOTE: If the armature contacts the distributor stator , replace the entire distributor .

Check distributor for free movement over full rotation of distributor shaft.
Install the distributor into cylinder block as outlined.
Connect distributor to engine control sensor wiring .
Replace distributor rotor as outlined.
Replace distributor cap and tighten screws to 2.0-2.6 Nm (18-23 lb-in).
Set initial engine ignition timing as outlined.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This was pasted out of a 1995 mustang 5.0 workshop manual. There are exploded pics that will not display via cut & paste on the forum. If they will be helpful, pm me your email and I will gladly try to send it as a PDF or paste it into the browser.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:46 PM
black_pearl_gt
2nd Gear Member

ok guys so i replaced the pickup coil and reinstalled the distributor but now its surging and has a rediculously rough idle and it sounds like its coughing through the throtle body or it bay be a bad miss but i have checked the timing and it seems to be correct any ideas guys?
Old 11-20-2006, 09:57 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

coughing through the TB is a timing issue. no doubt. recheck. make sure your light is on the correct wire, #1 is first on the LEFT on the 5.0, not right.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:03 PM
black_pearl_gt
2nd Gear Member

is the timing set at 10 degrees before tdc
Old 11-20-2006, 10:05 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

if you can't clearly see the timing marks on the balancer, clean them with an emory cloth or a wire brush. when you see them from above, with the light, it should look like this

20 - 10 - 0 - 10 - 20

you want it ..^ here
Old 11-20-2006, 10:53 PM
black_pearl_gt
2nd Gear Member

yep im there but it still surges just like it did before i changed the pickup coil the only diff is that now the check engine light isnt on could it be something else like tps maf egr etc. please help guys im getting desperate
Old 11-20-2006, 10:54 PM
black_pearl_gt
2nd Gear Member

wait what if i marked 10 degrees after tdc would it even start?

Quick Reply: check engine light question