5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

AOD to 5speed Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 04:21 PM
Missmy5.0
1st Gear Member

Default AOD to 5speed Conversion

I've got a chance to buy a clean 91 5.0 convertible, but it is an AOD. Although I have not been looking for a long time, I know these are not easy to find with a 5-speed and a clean history- especially a rust free body with original paint- in the Midwest. What is involved, mechanically, in converting a AOD car to a clean, FACTORY set-up for the manual? I suspect I'll limit any future mechanical mods to intake, exhaust, and maybe heads, some welded in SF connectors, so the factory tranny for this cruiser would be fine. I'm not afraid to tackle big projects, but this one would be tough to do myself as it doesn't seem like a driveway/garage project.

I know it'd be easier to find an original, but I'm not sure there are many out there(especially a clean one with an acceptable color scheme, 91-93 with the redesigned folding top). Is this likely such a budget buster that I ought to keep looking

Also, when test driving the car, it has a 1 second delay after stepping on the gas from idle before the car moves with a clunk. It seems to be coming from the rear; the seller claims it might be a motor mount but my experience is that a MM usually causes you to feel the clunk in front, even when the sound can be deceptive. I suspect it comes from the tranny, which was supposedly rebuilt. Any ideas or advice? Thank you so much for any help, and hopefully I'll be able to change my screen name soon!

Old 11-11-2006, 04:50 PM
BlackLX
4th Gear Member

Default RE: AOD to 5speed Conversion

I'm actually thinking about doing the same thing with my car this winter. Here's 2 good articles about it

http://www.wcfords.com/articles/tech/t5swap/t5swap.html

This one you have to sign up to read the whole thing
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2001/03/t5swap/

edit: I just now noticed you have to pay when you sign up at that place. What a bunch of bull****.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:53 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

a minor pause with a clunk sounds like the tranny may be a bit low on fluid, but if it coming from the rear end, i think maybe your differential might be on its way out.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:28 AM
Missmy5.0
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the links and advice. I thought rearend too, since that was where the sound seemed to come from, but I guessed tranny because of the delay(never having experienced a slipping tranny or rearend problems).

Cost will definitely be a factor- when I broached the subject with my wife I thought she'd flip. I sold my 87 5.0 LX last year, after realizing I'd never have the time, money or ability to repair it's salt-rotted body. It's a shame I didn't hold onto it- it would have made a nice donor. I have no idea what the mechanical package costs, let alone installation(if I elect not to do it). The other question is what I can get the 91 'vert for. I have decided the 5 speed is a must in any I own-that was one of the great pleasures of the car, and no offense intended to AOD drivers, the slushbox kills that for me.

One more question- for those who've bought lately, how close are actual transactions to KBB prices in the Upper Midwest-Chicago area?