5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

hookin up

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 04:41 AM
vtecwho
3rd Gear Member

Default hookin up

one of the biggest problems for me is hooking the rear tires. my 93 has many of the important bolt ons ie. full exaust, intake, ignition etc.
for suspension i have bbk lowering springs upper and lower controllarms from lakewood, strut tower and chasis stiffeners. i have kumhos Ecsta tires on the car with stock width.

im having a really tough time hooking up from a dig. first gear and firm gas will smoke the tires. my bro has a 89 fox with 331 (more than mine) to the wheels with all suspension i have only he has and he does not seem to have much trouble sticking the tires to the pavement.

i know drag radials would help, however, it is a DD. any thoughts?
Old 11-15-2006, 04:43 AM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

Default RE: hookin up

nittos 555rs....those should do it for ya. Make sure they are wider too....

Hookin up is all about suspension, a drag suspension is where its at with hookin up. If you got the right suspension, you can run some damn good times on a stock motor.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:54 AM
vtecwho
3rd Gear Member

ive herd of guys pullin really good numbers with full susp. and radials on stock motors. my 93 is equiped with full exaust, intake, full ignition, roller rockers, 70mm tb, ford racing intake maif. spark wires, #24 injectors and an "i love *****" sticker and i keep up with srts. (stock ones) so thats close to 14 secon quarter. seems that the car should be a big quicker. . i have most susp. components and seems as if it should hook better. ill look into diff. tires and hopefully the starts will improve
Old 11-15-2006, 04:59 AM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

Yea, if you put some good sticky tires on there i'm sure it'll help you out a ton. Kuhmos are decent, but not the best for hookin up. They dont do well under tourqe. Make sure to get some wider tires too, i'm not sure what the widest you can go is, but its prolly around 265...not positive tho.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:03 AM
vtecwho
3rd Gear Member

cool. diff. tires it is. did not really think tires would make that much of a diff. guess so. i though it was more in the suspention area.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:49 AM
HC_CrAzYHoRsE
Super Moderator

kuhmos aren't all that great at hooking up, i have the ES 712s on my focus, they handle pretty good but they're not very sticky on launch, especially if you have the stock width (225 i guess?). tires will make the most difference here, get at least 245s minimum and go with some nittos if you don't want DRs... actually the nittos are DRs too, but they'll last almost as long as regular street radials, they won't hook as much as other/better DRs but they'll be better than pretty much any street tire. you have the U/L control arms, but lowering springs with no aftermarket shocks/struts? ...that's not a very good set-up either, your stock shocks and struts must be weak, i'd suggest some adjustables, either tokico or strange. when you go at the track put the shocks at the firmest level, the struts at the softest, and disconnect your front sway bar to loosen everything up, drop the pressure a little bit in your tires and watch your 60' drop.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:34 AM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

have you guys swapped cars and determined if it is driver related?
Old 11-15-2006, 09:54 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: Ninety5five0

nittos 555rs....those should do it for ya. Make sure they are wider too....

Hookin up is all about suspension, a drag suspension is where its at with hookin up. If you got the right suspension, you can run some damn good times on a stock motor.
+1, made a world of difference for my et. After I finished my blower and the car was back on the road, 1st order of buisness was getting to the track. The car (then) put down just over 300 @ the wheel. I had high expectations!! Best I could run was low 14's. Shyty *** kuhmos on the rear and spinning through third. Yeah, major problem. Bought a set of nitto's and took over a second off the et. Now w/ some more mods and track time, those same tires have gotten me into the low 12's. Not to mention they have been on the car for about 15K and have worked very well for the street. They are just about worn out now but still have some useful life for the track. As Martin noted, they're not as good as some of the others as far as the track, but for use in both places, you can't beat them!!!

It sounds like you have a lot of good suspension mods, now get some stickies on there and be amazed @ the difference it will make!!