5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

HP increase

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 01:58 PM
amustangman

Default HP increase

I have a 1991 mustang GT(AOD). so far I have installed: BBK headers, Flowmasters, hollowed out the cats, 410 gears and a turbo shift kit. I want to put on a BBK cold air induction kit, and a bigger throttle body. My question, which Ive had mixed answers too.... Will changing the throttle body from the stock 60MM to a 70 MM make much of a difference than going to a 65MM, will it cause flood out, and do I need to change the Mass Air Flow sensor too? HELP !! what is the right answer? Ive been told a 70 MM will be overkill, that I will not see a noticeable change between a 65 and 70 MM, also I was told a 70MM would cause It to flood out? I was also told I had to upgrade the MAF sensor to get adequate increase in HP? Will installing a bigger throttle body with the add ons Ive done, plus installing a Air Induction system, have noticeable HP increase ?
Old 11-15-2006, 02:00 PM
Kadence
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: HP increase

no
Old 11-15-2006, 02:04 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

i noticed a differnect with i changed my maf to 76 snd tb to 75.... but at the same time i also added full exhuast.. lt prochamber flows... and it is a cobra so its got a lil different engine... im not sure if that helps or not... might be compairing apples no oranges
Old 11-15-2006, 02:12 PM
amustangman

when i say noticeable im not talking 30-50 increase , im looking for an easy 15-30increase, Ive read and taked to several people that the cold air kit with my mods ive done could get me 12-15, would a bigger throttle body give me 10-15 more, or would it be a waste of money?
Old 11-15-2006, 02:16 PM
88blackgt
4th Gear Member

dont worry about a cold air, the stock air box is fine, its already pulling air from the fender. as far as tb size, i would say just go w/ the bigger one, it will save you from buying another down the road. 65 isnt that much bigger than stock anyway.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:18 PM
88MustangGX
2nd Gear Member

well i would think putting a bigger TB on a stock manifold opening would be pointless. Maybe i am wrong but i just got a cobra manifold and that opening is 65mm. So putting stock 60mm back on would be stupid. I would think it would apply for a bigger TB and stock intake opening. Could be wrong though, but it does make sense. why would you open up the TB if the manifold wont use all the extra airflow to it's full potential?
Old 11-15-2006, 02:21 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

I really liked the C&L 76mm MAF and True Flow intake tube
its $200, converts your stock air box into a true high flow CAI and comes with new MAF.

very good deal
Old 11-15-2006, 02:52 PM
blacknred01

ORIGINAL: r.barn

I really liked the C&L 76mm MAF and True Flow intake tube
its $200, converts your stock air box into a true high flow CAI and comes with new MAF.

very good deal

where can this be purchased?
Old 11-15-2006, 03:00 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...0%201&comp=LRS

just remove the air silencer in the fender well and install K&N filter in stock air box.

Old 11-15-2006, 03:17 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: amustangman

I have a 1991 mustang GT(AOD). so far I have installed: BBK headers, Flowmasters, hollowed out the cats, and a turbo shift kit. I want to put on a BBK cold air induction kit, and a bigger throttle body. My question, which Ive had mixed answers too.... Will changing the throttle body from the stock 60MM to a 70 MM make much of a difference than going to a 65MM, will it cause flood out, and do I need to change the Mass Air Flow sensor too? HELP !! what is the right answer? Ive been told a 70 MM will be overkill, that I will not see a noticeable change between a 65 and 70 MM, also I was told a 70MM would cause It to flood out? I was also told I had to upgrade the MAF sensor to get adequate increase in HP? Will installing a bigger throttle body with the add ons Ive done, plus installing a Air Induction system, have noticeable HP increase ?
TB should match the intake inlet diameter, and the maf should be slightly larger, and no it wont yield massive hp increases, 60mm = 2.36" 65mm=2.56", 70mm=2.76, so your talking approx 2/10's for every 5mm in diameter. The TB and MAF will have no impact on flooding as long as the MAF has the appropriate sampling tube for the fuel injectors you are using, stock is 19lbs. If the TB is larger than the TB your wasting your time, air flow is restricted to the smallest component in the induction system, and a huge induction means nothing with stock heads, everything has to work together. For an application such as yours, I'd look into getting a 65mm TB and a 70mm MAF calibrated to 19lb injectors, leave the stock intake, just remove the air silencer in the fenderwell and install a k&n high flow filter.

Quick Reply: HP increase