5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Another post on oil burning...

Old 11-16-2006, 01:56 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: Another post on oil burning...

ORIGINAL: redmustang83596

I think I have that mixed up with another part maybe. Because I know you can loose compression through a lot of places, one of them being the valve somthing.
Through the valve itself, if it was burned or the seat was bad. The seal is on the other side of the valve so there can be no compression loss through it. ( the seal)
Old 11-16-2006, 01:57 AM
redmustang83596
4th Gear Member

yeah if its got a bad seat on the valve, thats what I was thinking.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:00 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: redmustang83596

yeah if its got a bad seat on the valve, thats what I was thinking.
Now for that, if it did, there would be a miss cuz it would be losing compression.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:12 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PRO50SC

Generally if the seals are bad, you will get alot of smoke on start up and then it will clear out. The oil in the top of the head will seep past the valve seals and into the cylinder. If there was a ring problem, it would smoke all the time.

Twisted if this pattern is correct, you do have a very strange problem. Is the car smoking at all.
The only time I ever saw the car smoke was when I would rev the engine hard after decellerating down the hill to my apartment. It would puff once, and then clear up. However, since I installed my pcv oil separator, I haven't been able to get it to smoke that way. Also, once I made a video tape of me burning down a desolate road. At near redline in a couple of gears, I got a small puff of black smoke that was barely noticeable. Oddly however, once, I had my wife drive my car while I followed in her car. I pulled right up next to my tailpipes, and then she mashed the gas and took my car to near redline in second, and then engine braked hard. There was no smoke whatsoever on accel or decel.

In terms of the typical symptoms of bad valve seals, if the seals were only marginally bad, might it not smoke at startup, yet still consume 1 quart per 1k?
Old 11-16-2006, 02:15 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: Twisted

Generally if the seals are bad, you will get alot of smoke on start up and then it will clear out. The oil in the top of the head will seep past the valve seals and into the cylinder. If there was a ring problem, it would smoke all the time.

Twisted if this pattern is correct, you do have a very strange problem. Is the car smoking at all.
The only time I ever saw the car smoke was when I would rev the engine hard after decellerating down the hill to my apartment. It would puff once, and then clear up. However, since I installed my pcv oil separator, I haven't been able to get it to smoke that way. Also, once I made a video tape of me burning down a desolate road. At near redline in a couple of gears, I got a small puff of black smoke that was barely noticeable. Oddly however, once, I had my wife drive my car while I followed in her car. I pulled right up next to my tailpipes, and then she mashed the gas and took my car to near redline in second, and then engine braked hard. There was no smoke whatsoever on accel or decel.

In terms of the typical symptoms of bad valve seals, if the seals were only marginally bad, might it not smoke at startup, yet still consume 1 quart per 1k?
I really don't see how.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:16 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Twisted

I really don't see how.
Then this is perplexing indeed.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:19 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Any reliable shops around you could inquire in?
Old 11-16-2006, 02:45 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Any reliable shops around you could inquire in?
Well, I've checked with all three Ford dealerships in my area, and they've all told me that it's completely normal. I also checked with a local shop, the owner of which is touted as a 5.0 guru. He said that it is normal for 5.0s to use oil. Then I told him that I was using a quart every 1k, and he seemed shocked after having driven my car and commenting that it's faster than a stock 5.0 should be. He said that my oil usage is a bit excessive, and seemed baffled. I've talked to tons of random mechanics on oil consumption over the years (as every vehicle I've ever owned, new or used, has used the exact same amount of oil), and some comment that it's normal, while others act like I need to rebuild my motors immediately.

Which brings me to my final attempt at understanding what's happening. As I've mentioned, every vehicle I've owned (8 motorcycles and 5 cars) has used the same amount of oil. Two of the cars I bought brand new, and broke them in properly. One of the motorcycles I rebuilt, and know that I spec'd everything properly. Could it be my driving style? I drive my car somewhat hard, at least once every time I drive it. But more importantly than that, I always favor higher rpms over lugging the engine. For example, if I'm going up a long, high speed hill, I'll always choose 4th gear and 2500 rpms over 5th gear and 1900 rpms. Even if I'm not going up a hill, I never cruise below 2100 rpms. There may be some other things that I do without realizing it that could affect my oil usage. But does it even sound possible that I could be the problem, rather than all of my present and past vehicles?

Also, I once bought a motorcycle off of my best buddy for dirt cheap. It was an awesome bike with no problems. Before I bought it, I asked him if it burned oil, and he told me that it used under a 1/2 quart in 3k miles. Then I got a hold of it, and it started using 1 quart per 1k. I asked him again about the oil usage, and he was genuinely confused that it could be using so much oil all of a sudden. At this time, I was a bike mechanic, so I tore the top end apart, calipered the pistons, replaced the rings and valve seals, honed the cylinders, and put it back together. I broke it in properly. Guess what, it still used a quart every thousand miles. WTF!
Old 11-16-2006, 02:51 AM
Stanpower
4th Gear Member

What ever makes you happy,But I wouldn't do it.............YUK!![:'(]
Old 11-16-2006, 06:32 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stanpower

What ever makes you happy,But I wouldn't do it.............YUK!![:'(]
Do what?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another post on oil burning...