5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

89 convertible questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 06:55 PM
jaa55
1st Gear Member

Default 89 convertible questions

im looking into buying a 89 convertible and i was wondering a few things

do the inside of the tops in this year have some type of headliner?? and if not, is there an aftermarket availble??

i also want to put in some subs but i was really wondering if they would even sound good in the trunk of a convertible, ive never really had any experience with one yet.

thanks!

Old 11-17-2006, 07:21 PM
TwotoneVert
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 89 convertible questions

Rockford makes a box to fit in the trunk of the convertible. holds 2 twelves, but with the trunk sealed from the passenger compartment, how would it sound? I have never seen this installation, and did not want to waste the money on it to have something that rattled the hell out of my deck lid. I had a custom box built that fits under the top motor and hardware. the box extends to the rear of the back seat, and is ported inside. It holds one ten, but I may have it redone to hold 2 tens. It sounds good, but not like the sound you can get out of a hatch. It also does not impede the top when I put it down, so everything still functions as it should. Cant tell you about the head liner, you may be able to have an upolstery shop make you one for couple of c notes.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:38 PM
89GTRed
5th Gear Member

no they dont come with headliners. And yes you can buy them. I am sure you could find em on ebay...if no where else.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:41 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

honestly i dont think a subs would be a good idea, my 89 vert has VERY rickety bracketry. it makes noise going around corners, i can only imagine what subs would do. IMO
Old 11-17-2006, 07:45 PM
grumpyphillips
2nd Gear Member

I know 1993 verts had headliners but I'm not sure about other years. I know the 1990 vert did not come with them.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:20 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

+1 you can get aftermarket headliners at www.50resto.com
Old 11-17-2006, 08:40 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

headliners started in '91

i'm not 100% sure can just put a headliner into a older 'vert , i had a 7-up car and wanted one, just never got to it b4 i sold it.
it might take some minor $hit to get it done, but i don't know for sure.

the trunk is very small nothing else would fit w/ a box, you could get a nice sound from mounting subs into the rear speaker area, or a full range aftermarket that is like a 6" w/ mids and a tweet. you'd have to cut the plastic panel to make a sub fit in there, and not sure of the clearance. anything is possible though.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:34 PM
jaa55
1st Gear Member

thanks for all the info and responding so fast!
im thinking the subwoofer idea will be thrown out the window, unless i look into a hatchback GT instead
Old 11-18-2006, 12:00 AM
capnacee
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jaa55

im looking into buying a 89 convertible and i was wondering a few things

do the inside of the tops in this year have some type of headliner?? and if not, is there an aftermarket availble??

i also want to put in some subs but i was really wondering if they would even sound good in the trunk of a convertible, ive never really had any experience with one yet.

thanks!

I have 2/10"subs in mine, and of course room is the issue. The Only way I could get Mine to sound decent was to turn them upside down where the spare goes and of course take the spare out, but its a sealed box (no port holes) wich are smaller. And its sounds really good with the top up.With it down it doesnt sound as good,but who cares you always have the wonderful music the Flows.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:57 AM
vt89gtvert
4th Gear Member

I have a sealed MTX box, with a MTX blue thunder Ten. I paid $20 for then and a MTX apm at a charity auction. They sound great and the ten hits very hard in the trunk, and doesn't take up alot of room. I am looking into the headliner thing as well, mainly on the 50resto site, and plan on asking my brother-in-law about it (He runs a small aupostry business).

Quick Reply: 89 convertible questions