5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

FINAL Taurus electric fan Q's

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 03:08 PM
tom50
2nd Gear Member

Default FINAL Taurus electric fan Q's

I have read a lot of threads about it but it just gave me a headacke... What all do i need to hook it up to my 91? I have a stock alt, dont want it on a switch because i will forget to turn it on. I dont need any fancy controller either, just basic to get that loud POS stock fan off. Can someone please just sum it up for me. Thanks..

PS my motor is all stock.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:12 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Default RE: FINAL Taurus electric fan Q's

well if all you want is to get rid of the howling cause by your fan, replace the clutch. an electric conversion without a controller is pointless.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:14 PM
tom50
2nd Gear Member

I didnt say no controller just not a fancy 100 controller. I just want the fan to come on when its hot then turn off.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:17 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

well it depends on the controller. either way, the stock radiator isn't setup for electric fans. it has no temp sensor location. i've never personally converted one, but electric fans run off temp sensors in the radiator, not the engine.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:25 PM
tom50
2nd Gear Member

O Im not sure what kind of electric fan was in my old gt but it had a switch and came on by itsself with a stock rad. I just got this vert and the guy said it had a better/bigger rad in it. How can I tell?
Old 11-18-2006, 03:27 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

usually will have some kind of sticker from the manufacturer on the bottom. look around, otherwise, post a pic. stock rad is black. most good aftermarkets are chrome.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:30 PM
tom50
2nd Gear Member

Yea mine is black too, looks stock to me. The guy was prob just lying
Old 11-18-2006, 03:35 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

get a $10 relay at autozone (headlight/wiring section). Follow the directions on how to wire it in if you don't know what you are doing. You can also buy a rather inexpensive ECT from jegs or summit that will apply a ground when the temp reaches a desired amount (I think you can buy from 160-210 switching sensors). wire this on the control side of the relay and then wire the fan to the switch side of the relay. Then whenever your temp reaches a certain amount, the fan will automatically kick on. Its fool proof and requires about 2 hours of total work and basic tools. You have no business working on your car if you can't figure something like this out. Google a tech article, I know there's got to be one out there. It's right up your alley if you don't want to wire a switch that you may forget.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:41 PM
tom50
2nd Gear Member

My dad is a electric wiz so i will prob put him to work. He just wanted me to find out all i need from people that have already done it . I was reading 30amp and 75amp relays........I need a 75amp relay right?/
Old 11-18-2006, 04:22 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

No way that taurus fan will pull 75a, but that's how I have mine wired[:@]

BTW, don't use the high speed wires (I can't remember if it is a seperate ground, or a seperate power wire that the high speed uses and mine is completely wrapped in convolute for cleanliness. Either way just run it using each set of wires and you will see which wires are high and which are low). The high speed fan is pulse modulated from the CCRM in a taurus. You will cook the fan and wires if you apply a constant ground on the high speed circuits for more than a min or so. I have mine wired only to the low speed and it runs 180 in the summer time with a conventional 180 stat and stock radiator. I have a high flow 160 stat in right now and I haven't used my fan but a few times in traffic. It literally runs at like 165 in fall weather.

Quick Reply: FINAL Taurus electric fan Q's