5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

A windy one!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 10:33 PM
irish1
2nd Gear Member

Default A windy one!

This post is going to ramble a bit, don't hold it against me! I am almost finished converting my 88 gt to mass air and redoing the fuel system. I broke a bolt off in the intake and the shop I took it to to have it drilled out, ruined the lower, major bummer. I bought a new set of cobras(what was on the car) and installed them. My mass air conversion was kind of the hard way, I located a 1989 california harness which is supposed to be a perfect match for my car and installed it(maybe I am dumb but getting the harness around the heater box just plain sucked). Made a couple boo boos along the way, one I forgot to connect the pcv valve behind the back of the intake manifold, two I forgot to install the hose connecting the two press in heater fittings on the intake, too bad I had finished assembly and was filling the radiator when I noticed the coolant dripping on the ground and investigated. Anyway I fixed those and since I hit so many delays between breaking stuff and heavy work schedule, I absolutely cannot remember where all the vacumn hoses go and which ones should be blocked off and what not. This is my first mustang so I am learning as I go, next time, labels for sure! A few specific ones elude me, I don't have a digital camera so I will try to describe as best I can. I have, as mentioned, cobra upper and lower intakes, unknown aftermarket tb, 76 mm mass air and elbow from C&L, E303 cam, gt40 heads, forged pistons, forged crank, msd 6AL etc, should be decently quick when running well, couldnt idle for **** when it was speed density, I replaced the cpu with an A9P and it has msd distrbuter/wires. ok heres the stuff I scratch my head over:

1 Back of upper intake, two vacumn fittings, one a hose from the manifold, the other a empty port, no clue
2 passenger side nect to main computer harness gromet, a square pigtail with 4 ports and varying vacumn hose lengths(one blocked I think)
3 Unknown alternator, seems to be some non stock wiring around it, mystery wire from bottom which looks suspiciously like a ground, going nowhere.
4 battery cable are all hacked up, one goes to a solenoid looking thing on the drivers side inner fender which has what looks like either a common ground, or an accessory plug for power, really not sure on that one. The other battery cable vanishes forward in front of the radiator, I'm guessing thats the neg, any other guesses?

I'm sure there will be others but I'm a tad buzzed and I can't remember more at the moment, oh yeah, car has utterly shot rubber on it, 245/45r/16 rear and a smaller sizes(60's I think) in front, all mounted on Saleen rims, when it is running right, I will replace them, any problems with those sizes in terms of clearance/rubbing the fender?
Thanks all, sorry to write a book!
Old 11-19-2006, 12:00 AM
Mustangkiler
5th Gear Member

Default RE: A windy one!

i know on the upper intake it should go side driver side rear a screw in for big hose to a tee where it goes down inthe the pcv and other end underneath the upper manifold into a nipple on the upper for the pcv to vent.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:18 AM
irish1
2nd Gear Member

yep I got the big hoses under control, its all those little ones buggin me!
Old 11-19-2006, 02:40 AM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

I know one goes to the fuel regulator and to the EGR stuff.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:45 PM
irish1
2nd Gear Member

Forgot to mention, I put aftermarket fuel rails and an aeromotive fpr on it to go along with the 24# injectors.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:26 PM
irish1
2nd Gear Member

Not buzzed now so I will try to be clear(er), back of upper cobra intake the are two vacumn nipples(about .25), one has a short, 6 inch length of vacumn hose on it with no apparant place to go, the other has no hose at all.

Next, there a square fitting comming from the extreme passengers side firewall with four vacumn lines that I don't know about.

Here's another, the fuel injector harness goes around the engine in a "U" shape, on the drivers side corner of the U, there is a small line running of it with what looks like a vacumn fitting on the end, wheres it supposed to go?

Last, how do I tell which battery terminal is which? both are in lousy shape and until the car is running again, theres no way I can either get under the car, or jack it up. Car is lowered and has full Saleen kit on it so I cannot roll my floor jack under it without putting the cars front wheels on 2x8s. One terminal goes to towards the back of the car about a foot to some sort of block on the drivers side firewall, the other dissapears in front of the radiator.

Can someone with a similair setup pop their hood and take a peek?, I'm dying to take her for a ride!

Thanks
Matt
Old 11-19-2006, 02:24 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

I think that short 6" peice of hose goes to the MAP sensor on the fire wall right behind the intake, but if you converted, you just need to plug that one.

Your FPR has no vacume hookup anymore?

The battery cables-the block that the one wire goes to is the selinoid, that is the positive. The other goes to the front of the timming cover, that is the ground.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:27 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

If you want to run it, just plug them all, then figure it out from there. It will start
Old 11-19-2006, 02:55 PM
capnacee
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: irish1

Not buzzed now so I will try to be clear(er), back of upper cobra intake the are two vacumn nipples(about .25), one has a short, 6 inch length of vacumn hose on it with no apparant place to go, the other has no hose at all.

Next, there a square fitting comming from the extreme passengers side firewall with four vacumn lines that I don't know about.

Here's another, the fuel injector harness goes around the engine in a "U" shape, on the drivers side corner of the U, there is a small line running of it with what looks like a vacumn fitting on the end, wheres it supposed to go?

Last, how do I tell which battery terminal is which? both are in lousy shape and until the car is running again, theres no way I can either get under the car, or jack it up. Car is lowered and has full Saleen kit on it so I cannot roll my floor jack under it without putting the cars front wheels on 2x8s. One terminal goes to towards the back of the car about a foot to some sort of block on the drivers side firewall, the other dissapears in front of the radiator.

Can someone with a similair setup pop their hood and take a peek?, I'm dying to take her for a ride!

Thanks
Matt

The Lil Block on passenger side with the small vacuum lines:
1. the Long one that goes from that block to the Drivers side goes to your Intake (that'll be one of the small ones thats furthest to drivers side)
2. One of em goes to EGR
3. One of goes to your Smog pump
4. One of goes to A hose(Pass.Side by exhuast Man) ,has a nipple on it..

If I'm Wrong somebody else feel free to step in

Ohh And be sure to Change the little filter underneath the PCV valve (Crankcase ventilation filter),Its a dealer Item Only (I think)
Old 11-19-2006, 03:01 PM
capnacee
2nd Gear Member

The Little Line from The FPR goes to the Other little Nipple on your Intake wich would the one closest to the Pass. Side
The Other Bigger Hose goes to your Vuccum Tree...Furthest on to Pass.Side...Hope that helps man

Quick Reply: A windy one!