5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

header question

Old 11-21-2006, 03:26 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default RE: header question

judging by the rust i would definitly say they are mac's... the individual flanges give it away as well
Old 11-21-2006, 07:22 AM
ebxgsxr
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vt89gtvert
And I don't know this one for a fact, but on a stock motor the LT will bogg the motor down.
really? anyone else heard this? eventually i'm not going to be stock, but i'm wondering what the benefits are or if there are any HP gains for going with LT's. i actually found a good deal on a set of BBK LT's, but if it's not beneficial or will actually hurt me, then i'm going to have to sell them. but whether the exhaust uses shorties or LT's, the overall length will still be the same, right? or else the tailpipes will stick past your bumpers? b/c dont LT's use shorter H or X pipes?
Old 11-21-2006, 07:30 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

on a stock or mildly modded motor Longtubes will drop your low end torque. I think the rule for long tubes is 350-400whp or more, maybe someone can correct me? yes they take shorter H pipes, they also drop your ground clearance, run hotter (i think), and are a bigger pain to install and work around.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:37 AM
Evil_F
3rd Gear Member

Long tubes = less restrictive flow of exhaust, should not affect low end if you know what your doing. Plus usually from what I have seen the long tubes run farther away from the block. Which is a plus for temp reasons.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:11 AM
ebxgsxr
2nd Gear Member

hmm, ok now im confused. anyone else have input?
Old 11-21-2006, 12:10 PM
92GreyGT
3rd Gear Member

If you are planning to build a stroker or higher rpm engine then the longtubes are the way to go in my opinion. I have them and I don't have any ground clearance issues, they are as easy to work around as shorties, and on my car they made it sound better. I have the BBK ceramic coated ones. If you are going to keep fuel injection I have been told they can cause you to have idle problems because the O2 sensors don't get as warm being placed further down the collector away from the engine. This may not be the case with everybody but my car does have idle issues. I need to get a chip burned to correct this.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:22 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Evil_F

Long tubes = less restrictive flow of exhaust, should not affect low end if you know what your doing. Plus usually from what I have seen the long tubes run farther away from the block. Which is a plus for temp reasons.
]
What do you mean if you know what you are doing? Is there a certain way to install them to make the low end drop go away? It has nothing to do with that... LT's on a stocker will drop the low end; maybe not on a built 302-331-347, etc. I know from experience.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:25 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

judging by the rust i would definitly say they are mac's... the individual flanges give it away as well
LoL +1242348904 My MAC LT's looked like they were 40 years old after 600 miles of driving on them [&:]

+1 on 92greyGT about what he said with ground clearance issues and the 02. Certain brands are also worst than others. I heard BBK LT's tuck alot better than MAC's. With my MAC LT's and a prochamber my exhaust was VERY low. Sounded good but will never go with MAC exhaust again. Plus their "HTS" coating is the worst.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:17 PM
ebxgsxr
2nd Gear Member

so i should really be going with shorties since i dont plan on building my motor up that much. anyone want to buy a set of bbk LT's, lol.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:23 PM
Evil_F
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 88BlueGT

ORIGINAL: Evil_F

]
What do you mean if you know what you are doing? Is there a certain way to install them to make the low end drop go away?
You have to adjust your FI fuel map or retune your carb/s for the loss of back pressure in the exhaust.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: header question