5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

h, c , or i?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 11:31 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

Default RE: h, c , or i?

i love iron gt40's

not p's , real 40's like from a '93 cobra

if you can find them locally you'll save the $100 in shipping, usually sell for $300

spend about $600 in port work , port and polish the exhaust, port the intakes, and a nice valve job

not doing half that work i just described, my buddy went 11.80 on a full weight '92 GT 5-speed, w/ 4.10's full slicks and 125 shot NOS dry kit , also had a real gt40 intake.

it'll save the time of doing the intake at the same time, and a cam is only $150 too.

i am looking to for iron 40's myself right now, or get ahold of detroit speedshops, the roseville MI store has aluminum cnc'd 180's for less $900 , they are limited, they are the leftover stock from some company going out of business, and being bought out from someone else, if i can gat the cash b4 they arre all gone, i'll have a pair.

the cnc work is ok, not like a really nice handport, but it gets the job done.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:33 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dimebag

ORIGINAL: mattdel

well if i had to pick 1, i'd go with heads... but like you said yourself... they're pointless to upgrade unless done together.
pointless? ima have to dissagree w. that... youll get a gain outa em... but which would give the biggest... i assume its either heads or intake, but idk.... tho i agree they have more potential together, separate youll still see improvement...
By pointless, I mean that IMO, it's entirely too much hassle to do it one at a time. If I knew I was going to upgrade all three, then I would wait until I had all three rather than have to take the top end apart three seperate times and then put it back together.

As you already stated, you won't get the full potential if you only do one at a time (until you are done with all three.) And on top of that you are wasting a ton of extra manhours and money doing it seperately. I don't see the point of spending more time and money to get less of a gain.

As far as which one is better... I ahve always said that heads are the best bang-for-your-buck mod. Meaning that when compared to the other bolt ons (exhaust, pulleys, CAI, intakes, etc) you will get more HP-per-dollar with heads than any of the others (not counting forced induction of course.)
Old 11-19-2006, 11:34 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

whats the deal w. these afr heads? i hear there one of the best... but theres a few diff ones, which do i go w.? and why?.... i assume afr is gonna be more expensive... but thats ok.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:36 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nitrous_bob

i love iron gt40's

not p's , real 40's like from a '93 cobra

if you can find them locally you'll save the $100 in shipping, usually sell for $300

spend about $600 in port work , port and polish the exhaust, port the intakes, and a nice valve job

not doing half that work i just described, my buddy went 11.80 on a full weight '92 GT 5-speed, w/ 4.10's full slicks and 125 shot NOS dry kit , also had a real gt40 intake.

it'll save the time of doing the intake at the same time, and a cam is only $150 too.

i am looking to for iron 40's myself right now, or get ahold of detroit speedshops, the roseville MI store has aluminum cnc'd 180's for less $900 , they are limited, they are the leftover stock from some company going out of business, and being bought out from someone else, if i can gat the cash b4 they arre all gone, i'll have a pair.

the cnc work is ok, not like a really nice handport, but it gets the job done.
I'm still happy about my deal. Got an entire turnkey engine from a 1996 Explorer for $350. So now I have a nice set of iron GT40 heads as well as the nicer intake manifold. Gonna swap them out with the stock ones from my Mustang and then clean up the Explorer engine and toss it on craigslist or something. Figured I would just put my Mustang heads and intake back on that engine and get rid of it for cheap. Even if I only get $100 - $200... that still is a great deal for me!
Old 11-19-2006, 11:37 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

yea i do agree its more work, but ill be doing the work myself... and have to tare the top end up soon any way to put in some new gaskets..so yea... tho i do agree, i was just wondering which was worht more hp, heads it is... thanks.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:39 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dimebag

yea i do agree its more work, but ill be doing the work myself... and have to tare the top end up soon any way to put in some new gaskets..so yea... tho i do agree, i was just wondering which was worht more hp, heads it is... thanks.
That's what forced me to finally do it. I blew a head gasket. So I figured that if I had to take everything off to replace the gasket, I might as well put new parts on instead of the boring stock heads and intake. And I figured that since I'm there and half most of it off, I might as well remove the cam and replace it with a Steeda # 19
Old 11-19-2006, 11:42 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

to get a whole motor for $350 i'd do it

then spend the cash for good port work, extrude hone the upper and lower explorer intake , and that would run.

but if buying for what most people sell them for, they are not worth it IMO

yeah the afr's are great , you want the smaller cc's for a street car , it's not so much about air quantity, than air velocity

just like if you crazy port a head, you'll move a TON air, but w/out forced induction, you'll move it too slowly and actually lose power rather than make it.

1.9/1.6 valves, and the smaller cc's is what you should be looking for.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:44 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

yea i have to do the headgasket as well... and an oilpan gasket(i no it has nothing to do w. the top half, lol), so ill prob do just about all of them... when i do my trans... so rear main seal will get done too... goin all the way to head gaskets, ima need just about everything else, lol. and will prob be able to aford heads, might throw them on there... itd make the gasket change alot more fun, lol.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:45 PM
SPE926
3rd Gear Member

I say heads then while you have th intake off get it ported and matched to the heads that way your intake will be a little better and work better with the better heads.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:47 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nitrous_bob

to get a whole motor for $350 i'd do it

then spend the cash for good port work, extrude hone the upper and lower explorer intake , and that would run.

but if buying for what most people sell them for, they are not worth it IMO

yeah the afr's are great , you want the smaller cc's for a street car , it's not so much about air quantity, than air velocity

just like if you crazy port a head, you'll move a TON air, but w/out forced induction, you'll move it too slowly and actually lose power rather than make it.

1.9/1.6 valves, and the smaller cc's is what you should be looking for.
it is a street car, but it sees the strip just about everyweek... so its more of a DD track car... incase that makes a diff...