5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Audio guys please help with quad voice coil sub

Old 11-19-2006, 11:20 PM
flyinghigh2k8
2nd Gear Member

Default Audio guys please help with quad voice coil sub

Ok I really need help I am getting this 6400 watt hifonics sub with quad voice coils. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_5652.html. It's has quad 2 ohms. Does that mean that each voice coil has 2 ohms making the sub 8 ohms total. If so does this mean that the amp(s) has to come to a total of 8 ohms. (either one 8 ohm amp, two 4 ohm amp, or four 2 ohm amp, or something similair) And if I am correct on this information is this all only true for mono amps. Will it change up everything if I consider 2 channel amps because I will have to bridge them and what not. Thanks alot guys, please help me.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:32 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Audio guys please help with quad voice coil sub

Can you get a hold of a multi meter and see what the ohm rating is. I think that the ohm rating would be 2 ohms at each individual coil. It depends on the way you hook up the coils as to what ohms you will get out of that sub, there are several combinations you can do on that type of sub, wiring it parallel or serial.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:37 PM
flyinghigh2k8
2nd Gear Member

yea i mean it sais independence:quad 2 ohms ....so im sure that means 2 ohms per voice coil.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:45 PM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

a quad 2 ohm sub will run in 1 ohm, talk to the people at highfonics to explain it, it's way more typing than i want to do
Old 11-19-2006, 11:45 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

I think you can go to JL Audio or one of the audio store and there are diagrams to show you how the wire your sub(s) properly for the ohms you want.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:41 AM
flyinghigh2k8
2nd Gear Member

Anyone have anymore information? Can anybody at least tell me if what I said was correct?
Old 11-20-2006, 01:08 AM
JABES
2nd Gear Member

there is a forum dedicated to that kinda stuff you know
Old 11-20-2006, 01:23 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: 94gtcoupe

a quad 2 ohm sub will run in 1 ohm, talk to the people at highfonics to explain it, it's way more typing than i want to do
wrong... four 2Ω coils hooked in parallel will create a .5Ω load. Hooked in series will create a 8Ω load. Hooked parallel to two coils and then series all four will creats a 4Ω load.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:34 AM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

ok get all technical, i knew it was a .5 ohm but it's hard to find a .5 ohm amp and a 1ohm will hold it just fine, and ye sif you wirer in series it's equal 8ohm, but more ohms = more heat which is worse for performance, most people would wire them in the .5 or get a 2channel amp and run 2 coils to each channel
ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

wrong... four 2Ω coils hooked in parallel will create a .5Ω load. Hooked in series will create a 8Ω load. Hooked parallel to two coils and then series all four will creats a 4Ω load.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:41 AM
whiteout 5.0
2nd Gear Member

AdderMk2
adder...you know EVERYTHING no joke i mean you told me almost exactly how to do my oil pan on my mustang i ended up printing out your post and using it as an instruction manual. You told me exactly why my buddys factory 5.0HO firing order wasnt working, who knows what else youve helped me out with, i gotta know man...wtf do you do for a living?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Audio guys please help with quad voice coil sub