5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

New owner with a problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 10:14 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Default RE: New owner with a problem

if you have no injector pulse this goes beyond plugs and wires. you have bad wires somewhere that are heating up. trace all the grounds coming out of the firewall for the PCM. look for weak spots in the wiring's sheathing. any folding or anything of that rubber would indicate a heat issue.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:17 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

take it to the store and back, get it home, shut it off, if you can get a laser thermometer, or feel some of the electronics to see if one is just extremely hot, don't grab the components, it's worth a shot.....
Old 11-21-2006, 10:23 PM
ml69bird

Thanks, I am starting to think that its bigger then I can deal with. Some one said it could be the electronics in the distributer. So I tried heating it up with no failure.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:25 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

you say your a new owner? take it back. if you really like the car, tell them to fix it for free or lawsuit. works every time.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:27 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

actually wait, ummm... i think the injector pulse is created by the PIP in the distributor. if thats the case, that isn't too bad to change. if someone else could chime in on this one and verify?
Old 11-21-2006, 10:31 PM
onetrickpony
3rd Gear Member

I had this same exact problem and it was the started solenoid. I also had to replace the positive battery cable. I would come out of the store and it would not start, I mean nothing totally dead. A friend of mine happened to be at the store and we pissed with it and that was the problem. Really wiggle that crap around.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:33 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: onetrickpony

I had this same exact problem and it was the started solenoid. I also had to replace the positive battery cable. I would come out of the store and it would not start, I mean nothing totally dead. A friend of mine happened to be at the store and we pissed with it and that was the problem. Really wiggle that crap around.
don't wanna be rude but yah that might have been your problem, but he can crank his motor and has no injector pulse. quite different.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:37 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

yah the TFI module controls injector pulse, and receives the signal from the PIP(dist. stator). replace it (also controls spark timing)

read this
Old 11-21-2006, 10:40 PM
ml69bird

That's what I was thinking, but by heating the up the dist. with a heat gun, you would think it would of faild.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:43 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

no not really, the heat inside the dist. cap is more caused by heat coming up from inside the motor, and the motion of the rotor actually creates heat, if you know your physics.

Quick Reply: New owner with a problem