5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

i smell coolent.........and oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 07:44 PM
mblaster890

Default i smell coolent.........and oil

ok i'm finally sick of hunting crap down and am asking you guys for your advise.....first the coolent issue: every now and then i have to add coolent to the car. it's been like that since i bought it and i just add a lil, not much. it just looses enough to turn the low coolent light on(95gt vert) so now it's getting colder and when i turn the heat on i smell coolent! and after a few mins of driving it my gauges on the dash(dash pod w/ h2o temp and oil press) fog up...... now i know my t-stat gasket is leaking a TINY bit....and i mean tiny, and i plan on fixing that this weekend before it goes into sleep mode. but i mean what else could it be? heater core? i dont have any coolent on the floorboards, so i dunno...

next is my oil leak. now i've posted on this before w/ no luck and am about fed up w/ it! i have a pretty bad leak coming from the back of the block somewhere. now i'vd had a "reputable" mustang shop change the rear mani, oil pan & gasket, and valve covers...all because they said they were leaking. and the leak still persists. and it's a lot. like a softball sized spot after about 6 hrs or so of sitting....and help? i say lower intake gasket but the shop says thats fine. plus i get a lil blow by on de accel.....so, any idea's fella's? please help me out here.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:48 PM
onetrickpony
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: i smell coolent.........and oil

So you paid for a shop to fix your leak and it is not fixed? Take it back to them and tell them to fix it. What about your rear main seal? It could still be leaking.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:49 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

first off, if your gauges and stuff are fogging up, you need to replace your heater core. big job, not for the weak of heart. oils sounds like lower intake to me, with the blowby
Old 11-20-2006, 08:03 PM
mblaster890

thatks for the quick reply's guys...i have a few thing's i should've mentioned in the 1st post.

w/ the oil leak...i orig took it to the shop to do the clutch/rear main/flywheel. they said the old one wasnt leaking but they did it anyways because i said it....it was all out what the hell. but anyways, they have been back in there since the install because of a bad t/o bearing and i was standing there...it was dry. and looking at the block from under the car on a rack, the leak looks like it's north of the bellhousing which is why i said lower intake, well i dropped it off a few weeks later and they were supposed to do the lower, they called me 30 mins later and said it was the valve covers....they did that instead and it still leaks just as bad as it did before they ever touched it[>:]

and w/ the coolent....thats what i was afraid of......what should i expect for something like that to cost me?

edit: i forgot to ask, if it is the lower intake gasket, would that explain the oil in my upper plenum/ blow by? because like i said i get oil out the ex on de accel.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:02 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

not uncommon to get qoutes of $800 to replace heater core.
I shopped and haggled and got mine done for $300.
Sucks, its a $50 part.

Get the rubber valve cover gaskets WITH the wire core center.
worth every penny, they wont leak and they're breeze to put on.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:33 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

i would take it back, tell them to use rubber valve cover gaskets, and have them do the lower intake as well. they should do the valve covers for free if they are still leaking. don't let them talk you into them saying that "now" its the intake.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:52 PM
onetrickpony
3rd Gear Member

*** That. I would take it back to them and tell them they NEVER fixed your oil leak and they better find the fuking problem and fix it at no cost. You have waisted enough money with them and they didnt fix the problem from the beginning.

Why not take a light and look for yourself and find the problem and then go to them and show them that they are not woth the moeny you paid them. Sh_t like that pisses me off.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:52 PM
nmerrill
5th Gear Member

As for the heater core, if you dont live where it gets extremely cold, or really need a heater you can just bypass it yourself. It is a really easy/cheap job.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:56 PM
mblaster890

ORIGINAL: nmerrill

As for the heater core, if you dont live where it gets extremely cold, or really need a heater you can just bypass it yourself. It is a really easy/cheap job.
actually, if u wouldn't mind pm'ine me something on that it would be great...as this is a nice day only car. i only took it out today to get some last minute drive time w/ it before it sleeps the winter away in a heated garage
Old 11-20-2006, 10:59 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

to bypass the heater core, simply take the two heater hoses going in your firewall on the passenger side, side by side, they around about an inch thick, and join them together with some kind of pcv piping from your local hardware store.