5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

lets all build a 427 stroker.... for me.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 03:34 AM
anthros
2nd Gear Member

Default lets all build a 427 stroker.... for me.

I am looking at building a N/A 427 stroker for my 1985 mustang gt. now i would like everyone to put in there 2 cents as to how they would build it up. Iam looking for idea's and combos to help decide what sounds like it would be the best for me. i plan on laying the power to the pavement through a tko 600 tranny, and a 9in rear end with 4.10 gears, so suspension is pretty much handled. I will run it carb'ed. i would like the engine to lay down some SERIOUS numbers, while still maintaining daily drivability, so bring it on, what would you build it up as? here is my hacked together list iam considering.

Ford racing block, bored .030 over
forged crank
Forged H beam rods
forged pistons with 11:1 CR with 58cc heads
Ported and polished afr 225cfm 58cc Heads
jay allen camshaft
1:7 hyd. roller rockers
high volume oil pump
high volume gas pump
Main girdle.
ARP bolts and studs all around.
performer rpm intake manifold
carb ???cfm

Please write what you would change, or how you would build up your dream 427 stroker.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:44 AM
frdmstng1986GT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: lets all build a 427 stroker.... for me.

ORIGINAL: anthros

I am looking at building a N/A 427 stroker for my 1985 mustang gt. now i would like everyone to put in there 2 cents as to how they would build it up. Iam looking for idea's and combos to help decide what sounds like it would be the best for me. i plan on laying the power to the pavement through a tko 600 tranny, and a 9in rear end with 4.10 gears, so suspension is pretty much handled. I will run it carb'ed. i would like the engine to lay down some SERIOUS numbers, while still maintaining daily drivability, so bring it on, what would you build it up as? here is my hacked together list iam considering.

Ford racing block, bored .030 over
forged crank
Forged H beam rods
forged pistons with 11:1 CR with 58cc heads
Ported and polished afr 225cfm 58cc Heads
jay allen camshaft
1:7 hyd. roller rockers
high volume oil pump
high volume gas pump
Main girdle.
ARP bolts and studs all around.
performer rpm Air Gap intake manifold <-- my suggestion #1 (i would serriously think about looking into a single plane like a torker II..)carb 850cfm (barry grant) <--- my suggestion #2Please write what you would change, or how you would build up your dream 427 stroker.

My dream 427 would start with a 351w roller block... and it would be twin turbo and fuel injected.

anyways. your build sounds like it will be very stout.. maybe think of putting on a 150 wet shot of the laughing gas for those 'just in case' moments.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:57 AM
anthros
2nd Gear Member

oh believe me the thought of strapping on some twin turbos and running a mild 10lbs. of boost on 8.5:1 compression has crossed my mind, but i dont think it would be in the daily driver catagory anymore. this engine build will go into my daily driver, so please keep that in mind, i would love massive HP and torque numbers up top, but please remember i need a little poop in the low end to. What are the tricks to getting a 427 windsor motor to rev to around 7-7.5k rpm Max, still develop very good power at 6-6.5k rpm, and not lose all of your low end torque and HP to maintain drivability at "normal" cruising speeds and rpms?
Old 11-22-2006, 04:00 AM
nmerrill
5th Gear Member

well if you are going with a fully built motor with a custom cam, why not just get the cam specs us where you want em, and not have to rely on 1.7's for the extra lift?
Old 11-22-2006, 04:08 AM
azpetewave

i agree stay away from the 1.7's. less stable than 1.6's. 11:1 on the street is high you will need 93 plus additives. 10:1 is good for the street. 7 to 7.5k is a tall rpm for the street. try a cam similar to the comp cams xe274 or 284 to get the rpm down for a better torque range at lower rpms. high rpms or torque hard to get both. however, streetable is all relative. i do envy the all forged bottom end good pick.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:08 AM
frdmstng1986GT
5th Gear Member

pretty much.. if you want to rev it to 7k you are deffanitly gonna have to sacrifce the down low power... but boost would fix that... and a turbo set up would be pretty tame on the street as long as you stay out of the boost.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:17 AM
anthros
2nd Gear Member

ya i never thought of that, plus the hyd. rollers probrably have more stress on them at higher rpm's when they are 1.7 instead of 1.6, and that possibly could lead to valvetrain problems, and on a expensive built motor with alot of my blood, sweat, and tears put into it, why risk it.

would anybody recomend lowering the compression ratio a little bit and maybe running some sort of supercharger? i mean i want to lay down so much rwhp that it is not even funny. then i will spend next winter getting the best suspension setup i can get to fully take advantage of the ungodly amount of power iam looking to create.

i dont think i will use a stock block for this project because at the least also going to spray it, and possibly lower the comp a little and boost it with spray, so the question is, what 351w blocks will support 800-1000 horsepower, and not break my bank. i do not think i will ever break 800 horse so i will set that as my max hp i plan to make. man i wonder what a 427 would be like with 8.5:1 compression, and running a twin turbo setup capable of suporting 15-18 lbs of boost.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:20 AM
anthros
2nd Gear Member

but to rev to 7k, will i have to sacrefice so much of my low end power that it would make my car being a daily driver impossible? Because i really have my heart set on this literaly being my daily driver, that runs low 10's or maybe high 9's.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:27 AM
azpetewave

lower the rpm to 6000 rpm and the compression to 9:1 then supercharger with a "good" not average supercharger. torque is king on the street.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:46 AM
anthros
2nd Gear Member

Well does anybody have a ROUGH estimate of the most rwhp/rwt i could get out of a N/A 427 stroker with 93 octane gas? if everybody guess's are short of the magic numbers i have in my head i will do some research into turbo and supercharger setups, and completly redo my build plans.

P.S. what 351 blocks do you fellows recomend that would be safe for 800-1000 Hp? my flywheel hp goal is less than 800, but i want insurance there, i would hate to split my block on a 8-12 thousand dollar engine build up.

Quick Reply: lets all build a 427 stroker.... for me.