5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Rear End

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 03:58 AM
drewguere
1st Gear Member

Default Rear End

I was up in the junkyard lookin around for some stuff when I came across some tires that were about 3 inches wider than my tires. They were on some decent rims, they were 5 lug though. I grabbed them anyways, and since I have an extra set of rims, I figured Id just put them on, and throw them on the rear. Well, the new tires are a 14 inch rim, and the rims I have are 15. So I decided to do the 5 lug conversion (just the back, until I can get some rims/tires for the front) So I go back up in the yard, and pull two drivers side ranger 7.5 axles (I hope I read right)

I start putting them in tonight, and took the cover off the rear end, and took the spider gear pin out. I cant get to the c clips, because there is this little piece of metal in the spider gears, it is shaped somewhat like an "S" I dont know if this is stock, but it is holding the spider gears from turning (locking the rear end)

I dont know if I was just too tired, or what, but I couldn't get that damn thing out. I was wondering if thats a stock piece, and I need to do something special to get it out, or if its "custom" and I just have to rip it out.

Im kinda dissapointed, because I cant really work on the rig tomorrow, and I gotta go back to college next week, so times running out, and I want to get it rockin pretty soon.
Old 11-23-2006, 04:02 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Rear End

sad to say but because of the holiday, i dont believe anyone with this knowledge will be able to answer very quickly.
Old 11-23-2006, 04:37 AM
zombi

The "S" piece is there from the factory. Try pushing the axles inward from the wheel mounting surface. They should move in a little and you'll be able to access the c clips.

Good luck.
Old 11-23-2006, 04:40 AM
zombi

Also, I recommend replacing the bolt for the center pin any time you have it out, it really sucks when it breaks. BTDT. NAPA carries them and they aren't very expensive.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:02 PM
drewguere
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: zombi

The "S" piece is there from the factory. Try pushing the axles inward from the wheel mounting surface. They should move in a little and you'll be able to access the c clips.

Good luck.
Am I supposed to take the "S" piece out, because its in the way of the c clips, but I couldn't get it out by clamping it with vice grips and pulling, so I figured there might be a special way. Ill also try just getting the c clips out with it it. It might be incredibly easy, it was just 1am and I was alone, so Ill try again friday.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:33 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

you arent getting that s clip out without disassembling the differential.. like someone said before. push in on the axles and the c-clips will loosen up a bit
Old 11-23-2006, 12:45 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

^+1, to get the S piece out you'l need two pairs of mini needle nose vice grips to clamp each end as it comes out, the best way to do is remove the diff and put it on a bench to sisassemble and acccess the spider gears. But you should have to do this to access the c clips... like said before move the axles arounda bit and they should be accessable
Old 11-23-2006, 01:17 PM
fordboyyfm
2nd Gear Member

the s peice will come out very easily, not al that hard. But dont take it out because they can be ingnorant at times to get back in. Just push the axle in like said above. a magnet (the ones like an antenna) is good to use to get the clips in and out if you have one, if not just push the clips back with a screw driver and they will fall out of the back.
I might be wrong about this but arent the ranger axles 31 splies? do you have a 31 spline carrier.
Old 11-23-2006, 01:26 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

i thought ranger axles were 28 spline and f-250 were 31 spline?
Old 11-23-2006, 08:36 PM
drewguere
1st Gear Member

I hope the ranger axles will work...if not im gonna be PISSED

I guess I was just too tired last night, because both my jeep's rear end, and the rear ends from the rangers were a hell of a lot easier to do the c clips. I guess Ill try again tomorrow

Quick Reply: Rear End